Spiedies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ingredients
  • 2 pounds meat (chicken, lamb, pork or beef), cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes*
  • 1 cup olive oil, extra-virgin
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly-squeezed
  • 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (granulated
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, dried
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons basil, dried
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, dried
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper, coarsely-ground
  • 1 loaf French bread or Italian bread, thickly sliced
  • Metal Skewers

Instructions
  1. In a large bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and sugar. Add garlic, bay leaf, red pepper, thyme, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; stir until well blended.
  2. Place prepared meat in a large re-sealable plastic bag set into a shallow dish. Pour marinade mixture over meat and close bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for a least 24 hours and up to 3 days; turn bag occasionally to distribute marinade. Remove meat from refrigerator and let stand in marinade at room temperature for 2 hour; drain, reserving marinade.
  3. Spiede Sandwich meat marinading
  4. Preheat barbecue grill.
  5. Thread 4 to 5 cubes of meat onto each metal skewer. Place onto the prepared hot grill and cook approximately 8 to 10 minutes or until done to your preference, basting with reserved marinade. Remove from grill and serve immediately.
  6. Spiedie Sandwich meat grilling
  7. To serve, fold the bread over the contents of the skewer and pull the skewer out, leaving the meat sandwiched within the bread.
  8. Spiedie Sandwich assembly
  9. Makes 6 servings.
Recipe Notes
* Use boneless and skinless chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, top round steak, or leg of lamb.

If you don’t want to make your own sauce you can also buy Lupo’s Original Endicott Style Spiedie Marinade Sauce or Salamida Original State Fair Spiedie Sauce and Marinade from Amazon Affiliate Links.

Hey there Pops, that sandwich sound great. The herbs are perfect to our taste.

I had never heard of this Sandwich before and will definitely try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Lots of places sell them in pre-marinated packages, but they dont come close to homemade, and your recipe sure looks good.

Pops, I used to drive through Binghamton yearly on my way to Pa. to hunt. I wish I'd known about that sandwich as it would have been worth the stop!

I've only used the store bought mix in the past. Or used Italian dressing. I'm going to try this this weekend.

thanks for sharing pop's, when I was younger my sister worked in the Endicott-Binghamton NY area and used to bring spiedie sammies home with her and they were great, tried making them a few times with different recipes but they never tasted the same, i tried the lupos marinade and that was probably the closest, i'll have to give your recipe a shot. now ya got me thinking of taking a ride to Binghamton for some.

Love Spiedies, especially Lamb. I had family in Endicott and as a kid, we got up there a couple times a year. Put a Greek Uncle, an Italian Aunt, together with Lamb and her Spiedie Marinade...I've not had any Lamb that amazing in years! BTW... Make sure to reserve some Marinade to sprinkle on the sandwich. The fresh Punch of Vinegar, Garlic and Herbs, makes, grilled meat, an Award Winning Sandwich...JJ

Thanks for posting this Pops. I am going to bookmark this and give it a go with some chicken and lamb! I’ve seen a commercial version of this sauce at Kroger’s next to the State Fair chicken sauce but never tried it.

That's a Great Looking Sammy there, Pops!!
Nice Job!!
I'd be all over a couple of those Bad Boys!!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky