Spider Grills Venom?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Colin1230

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2021
Merriam, KS
Hey guys,
I may be interested in one of these.

I did a search and found just a few mentions of it but nothing with any real meat and potatoes. At first I thought I would buy another kettle to dedicate it too but still on the fence about that. It would work very well on my Performer as the display would face the front and ash sweep would be under the lid bale. This unit has been out for a couple of years now so if anybody has one please let me know how you like it. And more importantly, are you still using it?
I have a Smoke X2 w/ Billows and never use it. Do you think this may be another rabbit hole?

Colin , I'm the wrong one to comment . I don't use any of the gadgets for a kettle . I've used them stock for so long I just can't see it as anything but a waste of money . I don't need a vortex or SnS or any of it . I respect the opinions of the guys that swear by the stuff , but I can get the same results without it .

Thanks for your honest opinion about it Rich, I do appreciate it.

Maybe it's because I have other options , or maybe just stuck in old ways .
I did recently get a Thermaworks Signals that says it can control the billows . Has me thinking about the concept of it , but I can flip the switch on the pellet grill too .
What's the reason you don't use the billows ?

Well, that is a good question. I guess we are a lot alike. I've always done it the ol' fashion way. I've tried the Billows on my WSM and it worked good but kind of a hassle getting to all rigged up. And then there is that damn cord. :emoji_laughing: You still have to light the charcoal. Hmmm, it sounds like I might be answering my original questions.

I have and use a few gadgets in my kettles. I love the Vortex and use it regularly in my 22" for more than just chicken. I also use the SnS in my 26" kettle because I find it easier to contain and refill charcoal on longer cooks - not to mention the ease of using water to help keep the temps down. I also have charcoal baskets and a warming warming rack that I use for various cooks when needed. Finally, my wife got me a spinner for Christmas. I haven't used it yet, but I see it quickly becoming an integral part of my kettle cooking experience. My collection consists of a 22" and 26" kettle, a 22" WSM that hasn't seen the light of day in over a year or more and a gas grill for winter cooks. I also run all my charcoal cookers naturally aspirated. So at least I'm staying old school there.

Chris

spinner for Christmas. I haven't used it yet
That needs to change as soon as you get the time .

I have a 14" WSM that I like to use . It's just more work , and flipping the switch on the SmokeFire is just to easy . Plus it makes great food .

I started setting up my kettles the night before I want to use it for a long smoke . That way all I have to do is light it . Run the snake , drip pan , charcoal chimney full and stuffed with paper . I hang the grate on the side and put the lid on for the night .

a warming warming rack
Does that keep stuff twice as warm ?

That needs to change as soon as you get the time .
That day is coming soon. The snow is melting and we're seeing more days in the 40s

I have a 14" WSM that I like to use . It's just more work , and flipping the switch on the SmokeFire is just to easy . Plus it makes great food .
The kettles are much easier for me to use than the WSM. I thought about selling it, but when the whole family gets together again it will come in handy. At this stage in my life I still like sitting outside and smelling the charcoal and wood burning. Maybe in a couple of years I'll jump ship and go pellet.

Does that keep stuff twice as warm ?
Ooops fat finger fat finger. Looks like my fingers are typing quicker then my mind is telling them to.

Weber pretty much nailed the kettle from the get go. I will say that a vortex is a game changer with these things. That's the only addition I've added to my kettle.
+ 1 on that! I have one along with the SnS and baskets, Vortex gets used the most, sometimes wide side up. Used to just stack the coals to one side or the other, worked about as well as the baskets or SnS. RAY

Reactions: 6GRILLZNTN
Just yesterday saw info about Spider Venom. (Going to have to get up to speed) Sent a note to product support, and their response was that it does use a true PID controller, is made in China. My main question was does it maintain low temperatures (for smoking sausage) and their response was the lowest setting is 150℉.
Any user data? Amazon has many favorable reviews, but none addressed low temperature.

Reactions: Colin1230
Great question again PapaRed. Thanks for bringing it back to life. The Spyer Venom has interested me for a couple of years. But now that I have a SmokeFire I've pretty much forgot about the Venom. Hopefully someone here got one for Christmas and would be willing to share there experience. I'm all ears.

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm happy with my Weber performer, but for smoking sausage I find myself chasing temperatures since I got back into sausage. Spider says their controller will control down to 150℉, so...... might pull the trigger.

Let us know if you do. Inquiring minds want to know. :emoji_thumbsup:

From all of the research I've done, the only complaints found are on the software for the phone/tablet. Ca't find a phone number to talk with the Spider folks, but they are prompt answering e-mails.
Here's my latest info from them - I asked specifically about sausage smoking and their software:
"The venom will be available on Amazon once we have stock. They don’t allow you to pre order on their website.

The lowest setting on the Venom is 150 degrees. It can’t go lower than that. If that is the only reason you are getting the venom, I would look at other options. If you’re wanting something that is a Swiss Army knife and levels up your kettle, the venom is the way to go. But if all you want is a cold smoker, there are better options out there.

And connection issues happen from time to time. Customers get upset because the venom can’t connect when IOS or android updates their system. We need time to adjust. That’s why we have an app team working round the clock to make sure customers can connect.

That’s why having an IOT product is great. We can constantly be improving the Venom while you still get to cook on it. And if you ever experience temporary connection issues, you can always use the venom manually from the control board.

Hope this helps."

I think Spider Grills has a great product with the Venom but it is a shame that it has been plagued with supply issues. It's been out for two years now and still not available. Come on man!

I got the Spider Venom for my Weber 22 for Christmas. I'm probably 4 cooks in, so far I'm mighty impressed. The temp swings are about 4 degrees north and south of your set temp once it reaches equilibrium. It strikes me as very well made. Incidentally, the temp variation from set temp with the Spider is much tighter tolerance than our Wolf LP oven, which is an incredible testament to its validity. Is it needed, no. Does it work as advertised? Yes. Would I buy it again? Yes. Can you produce equally amazing results from the amazing Weber kettles without it? Yes.

The Spider Venom is back in stock - I ordered one a week or so ago, and it arrived today. In anticipation, I removed the bowl from the Performer and did a thorough cleaning. Installation was easy, pairing with iPhone simple, so put a pile of charcoal in and turned it, setting to 350℉.
The temperature climbed steadily, slowing down in the mid 300's but steadily climbing. I could hear the fan start and stop, and the temp stopped climbing at 350℉.
The app is nothing to get excited about but does show the pertinent information. Will do a real cook this week-end to see how it does.

Attachments

• Pit Temp.jpg
    Pit Temp.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 9
Papa,
Did you use charcoal baskets or just a pile, and how did you light those coals?
That graph is exactly what I would want to see, thanks for sharing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky