Special sauce etc....needed for crisp poultry skin?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
North East Indiana
The answer to the question is NO it isn't ...but first there's nothing on this chicken quarter. There was no oil, no mayonaise, no special sauce or no seasoning/salt and it was tap on it sounding crispy.

I had left one of those bags of chicken quarters in the crisper of the fridge and forgot about it till it was a week or so after it's expiration. I used to throw out chicken like that but I forgot that dogs can still eat. I usually mix up some chicken with the old pooches food but didn't have much to put in it this morning and he wouldn't eat.
tsk.gif
That's why I broke out these expired quarters I had frozen just for the dogs.... free fuel for the 007 so it's getting grilled.

Back to the chicken skin..Yea crispy as all get out, just flip skin side down for a while and the fats will render and turn crisp. For all those that grill try using something that will give you more distance between your charcoal fire then the skin can spend more time facing the direct heat with no black burning. Anyways that's the tip of the day!

Oh the hush puppies were for me!
becky.gif
Nice and crisp but moist inside. Yum!

I would have still ate that chicken if it smelled good from the bag.

I debunked this years ago. All you need is heat to crisp chicken skin. There are those stubborn smokers though that need to go lower temp. That's where the witch craft comes in to aid their chicken to have decent skin.

Some say high temp isn't smoking, but that's bull. If smoke is hitting the meat you are smoking! Long live the high temp smokers!

Last edited:
I debunked this years ago. All you need is heat to crisp chicken skin. There are those stubborn smokers though that need to go lower temp. That's where the witch craft comes in to aid their chicken to have decent skin.

Some say high temp isn't smoking, but that's bull. If smoke is hitting the meat you are smoking! Long live the high temp smokers!
Higher heat is good but being fair I could cook @ 250 over a fire and the infra red searing energy does wonders to crisp.  Now that said Case the people that try 250* w/o good infra red or indirect...oh well, better break out the voodoo!

Last edited:
Chicken looks good,lucky pouch If you have to cook lots of chicken for them,you would love a store I just found Leg Quarters 19 cents a pound

Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky