Spatchcock chicken on the Kamado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chickenwings

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 10, 2019
Well I'd really like to tell you guys that I lovingly selected an organic chicken raised on fairy grass and butchered by excessive cuddling and the rest but the honest truth is we saw this in the grocery today and I thought "why not".
in package.JPG

Brought it home fired up the Joe to about 375. No deflectors or anything else just put the grates up on the highest position and let 'er rip
Going on.JPG

About 40 minutes later I had this:
After about 40.JPG

No smoking wood or anything else but the charcoal flavor was there in spades. What a wonderful upgrade on a bird - keep an eye out though after about a half hour I could have taken it off a bit earlier since there was some crisp on the bottom but the meat was still on the good side of juicy!

Outstanding.
I love spatchcock for whole bird cooking.
My wife was leery the first time until she saw all the skin was nice and crispy and the thigh meat was cooked out without killing the breasts.

It was okay...not really notable but okay. I'll do this again, but I'll do it with a regular 'flavored' rub of some sort like Ted Readers Bone Dust or just SPOG. The package claimed greek style but it needed more punch to me. I like the flavors of garlic, lemon and oregano to be REALLY apparent.

What I really thought was good here is:
- 1st time grilling a spatchcock chicken and next to beer can this has become my favorite.
- Technique was simple but I do hope that anyone who's wondering will learn from this . I didn't use any deflectors so it was just direct about 375 at the highest grill level in the KJ.
- Time for this size of bird was about 40 minutes and I could have pulled it a bit sooner. The skin was perfectly crispy and the meat was still juicy but I've done them a bit better...grin... One bad thing about winter is that you don't want to go outside to check!

All in all it was a tasty meal with a salad with balsamic vinegar vinaigrette. Balsamic, olive oil, garlic, dijon mustard and honey....

Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky