Spatchcock chicken cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Firemedic76

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 27, 2019
I’ve done whole chickens but decided to spatchcock this one to speed up the cook and just to try it out. 6lb bird been cooking between 275-300, I removed the water pan to see what sort of temp swing I’d have without it, about 25+ deg, if anything just to get a gauge for my next brisket. IT in the breast is at 120deg I’ll prob put he water pan in now to help buffer temps and let it cook another hour or two.

all done. Bout 3.5hr cook. Temp in the thighs was 170, Breast was 165-167. Covered it in foil lined pan for the rest Before cutting up.

Attachments

• 22548592-605C-4590-821B-C074C9E4B7B3.jpeg
    22548592-605C-4590-821B-C074C9E4B7B3.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 82A43CE8-7172-4AB2-953D-23DFDDB52C2B.jpeg
    82A43CE8-7172-4AB2-953D-23DFDDB52C2B.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Nice I just did 2 of these for the first time myself did them at 350 cooked the breast to 160 they can at perfect
Did u sauce them??? Crazy red color on em. I cooked mine lower temp because I had a few hrs to kill. How soon were those done at 350?

They each weighed 8lbs and I cooked them in just over an hr. I did put a glaze but the color really cam from the rub. I make a lot of my ribs but not that one. It was the Holy Gospel from Meat Church.

How did they turn out? Any pics or you like me I tend to forget the pictures when I am hungry😁😁😁

They each weighed 8lbs and I cooked them in just over an hr. I did put a glaze but the color really cam from the rub. I make a lot of my ribs but not that one. It was the Holy Gospel from Meat Church.
I’ve heard of holy gospel as I’ve watched them meat church videos, how did u like the rub? I’ve also looked into the bearded butchers rub, another group I follow on you tube but it’s always sold out. And wow 8lbs cooked in just over an hour. Ok good to know

The rubs are good I do prefer to make my own if I have the time there nice for a quick dinner. I hate the silicone and stuff they put in. But as far as rubs go the meat church line is good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky