Soy Glazed Beef Plate Ribs!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So happened to be in Costco with the wife and I spotted these baby’s and they had to come home with me. Especially, since they are about $3/lb cheaper than they have been.
View attachment 522387
did a light score and seasoned with kindred blend and some onion powder!
View attachment 522388
on they went at 275.....they will get wrapped at 160 to 165 to probe tender then they will be finished by slicing and glazing back in the smoker......
View attachment 522389
should be a nice Sunday dinner!

Forgive me. I'm new. This is my first post new...

You're smoking in the cold? How is that possible??

Murph

That was a torturous thread!! Having to read through several posts to finally see the final produce. shame on you :emoji_wink: It was an absolutely stunning finish though. Those ribs look to die for!! Beautiful, beautiful job!!

Robert

That was a torturous thread!! Having to read through several posts to finally see the final produce. shame on you :emoji_wink: It was an absolutely stunning finish though. Those ribs look to die for!! Beautiful, beautiful job!!

Robert
LOL....a good story has to build for the "big finish"..... Oh and tell me about it, I've seen similar but was pretty much flying blind to how they would turn out, but risk of having to order pizza hasn't stopped me from experimenting yet....LOL

Forgive me. I'm new. This is my first post new...

You're smoking in the cold? How is that possible??

Murph

Murph, welcome to the forum!

I guess need a little bit more info to answer the question fully, but I smoke things year round so yes I smoke in the cold as in cold outside air temps. I have smoked things when the out side temp was -26 or so, most good pellet smokers will work good in a wide range of outside temps. I have many smokers (non pellet) as well but use my pellet the most in the winter because its easy and I don't have to stand outside in the cold tending to it.

The actual cooking temp was at 275 degrees and then when the meat was to temp 198 (IT internal temperature) or so I put it in the house oven to hold at a lower temp 170 in this case. This holding further helps develop texture and allows for better timing for dinner

but risk of having to order pizza hasn't stopped me from experimenting yet....LOL

I get it!! First time I ever tried ribs, before finding SMF, that's exactly what happened. The ribs tasted like they had been marinated in Clorox, smoked with creosote, basted with lacquer thinner, and glazed with shoe polish. That was one of those nights when you sing the praises for Domino's :emoji_laughing:

Robert

I get it!! First time I ever tried ribs, before finding SMF, that's exactly what happened. The ribs tasted like they had been marinated in Clorox, smoked with creosote, basted with lacquer thinner, and glazed with shoe polish. That was one of those nights when you sing the praises for Domino's :emoji_laughing:

Robert
LOL, always need pizza on speed dial! PS I know what those ribs tasted like......One never forgets that taste...NEVER

I was in my Costco (southeast Florida) today and looked for those beef plate short ribs. My store or should I say my region or district doesn't carry them. :(

Rob

Hey, I'll trade you a hen for a couple of those ribs.
Beautiful work.
Thanks SHS! I would probably take you up on that! the only thing better than a meat plat is a plate with more meat!!!!!

I was in my Costco (southeast Florida) today and looked for those beef plate short ribs. My store or should I say my region or district doesn't carry them. :(

Rob
It may be a local thing, I was back in Costco last night and they had a whole bunch and even added thin sliced versions of them as well. If I didn't have a pork should and a TT in the fridge I would have gotten more, but the freezers are full......

Last edited:
Murph, welcome to the forum!

I guess need a little bit more info to answer the question fully, but I smoke things year round so yes I smoke in the cold as in cold outside air temps. I have smoked things when the out side temp was -26 or so, most good pellet smokers will work good in a wide range of outside temps. I have many smokers (non pellet) as well but use my pellet the most in the winter because its easy and I don't have to stand outside in the cold tending to it.

The actual cooking temp was at 275 degrees and then when the meat was to temp 198 (IT internal temperature) or so I put it in the house oven to hold at a lower temp 170 in this case. This holding further helps develop texture and allows for better timing for dinner

Thank you, civilsmoker!

It looks like my question belongs in a thread you contributed to here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...that-actually-smokes-meat.312587/post-2288227

I only have a Weber Kettle and have smoked in it a half-dozen times... in the summer. :emoji_sunglasses:

A lot of my questions as to what equipment to move up to (if necessary) are being answered in that thread.

First, I have to figure out if this is a passing fad for me. I have found that convenience is usually my #1 priority.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I'll lurk and post in the equipment forum.

Murph

Last edited:
Thank you, civilsmoker!

It looks like my question belongs in a thread you contributed to here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...that-actually-smokes-meat.312587/post-2288227

I only have a Weber Kettle and have smoked in it a half-dozen times... in the summer. :emoji_sunglasses:

A lot of my questions as to what equipment to move up to (if necessary) are being answered in that thread.

First, I have to figure out if this is a passing fad for me. I have found that convenience is usually my #1 priority.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I'll lurk and post in the equipment forum.

Murph

No worries, all questions about smoking are good.....Yes lots of different equipment available and the choices are often difficult because I want all of them usually isn't one of the choices.....LOL

Robert

Thanks for the chuckle Robert.

Reactions: civilsmoker
I get it!! First time I ever tried ribs, before finding SMF, that's exactly what happened. The ribs tasted like they had been:

marinated in Clorox,
smoked with creosote,
basted with lacquer thinner, and
glazed with shoe polish.
Only a slight exaggeration here, but we get the point :)

Wow, those look incredible…. Nice job man and a shout out to the young man for the glaze recipe. Congrats on the ride!

Wow, those look incredible…. Nice job man and a shout out to the young man for the glaze recipe. Congrats on the ride!
Many thanks Waterin! I'll pass along the props to the boy on the recipe....He does read here from time to time....

It don't get no better than that!!
Thank! I can say there weren't any left overs zero zip non.....not even the got got any!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky