Sous Vide Double Seared Venison Back Strap with Mushroom & Black Pepper Demi-Glace Sauce, Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Steamed Carrots

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You know....I was never a huge fan of brussel sprouts. But trust me when I say that oven roasting does something to them and transforms the flavor...takes the bite out of them. Almost nutty flavor even. And with all the other stuff....the bacon, fetta, mushrooms, parmesan and a touch of pepper jelly...well, they really are good.

Maybe , I will give it a try. Just hard to get past when i was little my friends mom ( very English ) sweet lady )
boiled the crap out of them and they where very soft and mushy , and if on your plate you must eat it .
so that is my haunting memory 🤮🤮

David

IDS, Fine looking venison/fixings and charcuterie!
Thanks Crazy! One of my favorite ways to eat venison back strap.

Maybe , I will give it a try. Just hard to get past when i was little my friends mom ( very English ) sweet lady )
boiled the crap out of them and they where very soft and mushy , and if on your plate you must eat it .

David
Thanks David....give it a go.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Excellent!!!
That Venison plate looks Perfect, as does your board of flavors!!
Nice Job, as always!
Like.

Bear

OMG! That plated pic is pure money. I dont care what ya eating it off of.....thats a high quality meal!
Jim

Man that looks good. I'll have to add venison to my list of things to SV. And your boards are always super impressive! Nice job!
Thanks CTX!

Excellent!!!
That Venison plate looks Perfect, as does your board of flavors!!
Nice Job, as always!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear! You would not believe how tender that steak was!

OMG! That plated pic is pure money. I dont care what ya eating it off of.....thats a high quality meal!
Jim
Thanks JLeonard!

So is sous vide key to venison? I haven't tried it as venison that people who hunt have fed me has been uniformly awful. Not unlike beer people who home brew have given me.

Sous Vide is key for venison, but if you do not enjoy steak rare, don't bother. This is a dish that must be eaten rare or just a touch towards medium rare. 127-128*F Internal temp.

Edit*
I should also note that shot placement as well as proper field care goes a long way towards the quality of the meat. Can also be said for proper aging of the meat. It is as important as how it is cooked.

Last edited:
Reactions: chilerelleno
Thanks for reply and do like steak rare to medium rare. Take your point. As to how game in is handled. Idaho hunter I know also told me geography matters. E.g., western Washington game eating well year round better than Idaho game which is boarderline starving much 9f the year.

Reactions: indaswamp

David
Yeah David, there are more and better ways than over boiled mush.
Try them cooked like this minus the bacon, onion and garlic, but finished with a Balsamic Vinegar glaze.

Last edited:
Sous Vide is key for venison, but if you do not enjoy steak rare, don't bother. This is a dish that must be eaten rare or just a touch towards medium rare. 127-128*F Internal temp.

Edit*
I should also note that shot placement as well as proper field care goes a long way towards the quality of the meat. Can also be said for proper aging of the meat. It is as important as how it is cooked.
I don't sous vide, but I do age, brine and cook rare/med rare.
Aging is over looked by many, gotta give those enzymes time to do their magic.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky