Sous vide and sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Like many others I don't bag the sausage when I put them in the SV bath and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I use a temp probe in a couple of them and run the SV at 155 or so to get the IT to about that temperature. Much easier than messing with the smoker to try to get IT just right. I get some fat that floats out and coats the sausage, bin, and SV machine but no big deal, wipes right off.

Reactions: uncle eddie
Just read this entire post and, once again, I learned a ton about sausage making.
Great post!
Next batch will be dried/cold smoked in my MES40 then bagged and SV'ed in a cooler (...I don't think I can drop it in the water just yet)
  • Should I shrink wrap it like it is ready for the freezer before I SV it? Pull it from the SV, blot it dry and freeze the extra?
  • Does it make juice in the bag from the SV heat even though using low temps?
I found the busted link (from above) to be here: https://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_5.1

Just read this entire post and, once again, I learned a ton about sausage making.
Great post!
Next batch will be dried/cold smoked in my MES40 then bagged and SV'ed in a cooler (...I don't think I can drop it in the water just yet)
  • Should I shrink wrap it like it is ready for the freezer before I SV it? Pull it from the SV, blot it dry and freeze the extra?
  • Does it make juice in the bag from the SV heat even though using low temps?
I found the busted link (from above) to be here: https://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_5.1
You'll like this approach (though I'd encourage you to skip the bags when SVing). I pull then from the bath then hang then for a few hours in the garage before final bagging/freezing. SV doesn't create much juice given the low temp. Note that the Baldwin table assumes you're not monitoring internal temperature. If you do so you can pull the sausage when you get the IT you want - you only have to make sure you're following the pasteurization table that correlates internal temperature to time.

Reactions: uncle eddie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky