Source for Pit Boss temperature probes with long cable?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 13, 2015
I don't have a pit boss, but I found out their temperature probes are PT1000 RTD types which I need for a different application. But all the aftermarket cables I can find on amazon are 50" or shorter. Anyone know where I can get really long pit boss temperature probes?

Here's one example on amazon that's 50" https://tinyurl.com/y5dfkasu

or anyone know of any other manufacturers that use PT1000 probes? like traeger?

Not sure how long you're looking for or what type of connection you require (2.5mm, 3.5mm, or male push con)

But here's a 6ft

Flame Boss High-Temperature Meat Probe with 90° Plug
6-Foot Replacement Hybrid Probe for Maverick ET-732/733/735 - Also fits Ivation IVA-WLTHERM & IVAWT738
9ft probe (230 max temp(

bayite NTC 10K Temperature Controller Probe Sensor with 3.5mm Audio Plug 9.8ft Long
6.6ft k type

T-PRO K-Type Thermocouple Temperature Sensors 2M/6.6Ft Wire,Stainless Steel Probe (Probe Length 50mm)

i assumed all pit boss probes used the same plugs. looking for 3.5mm male mono.

which I need for a different application.

What type of application? Does it need to be a meat probe with a pointed end? Or are you using for another type of temp sensing application?

it's for an auber PID model SYL-2615. one with a pointy end but any type will do, just want to see what temperature probe options are available.

it's for an auber PID model SYL-2615. one with a pointy end but any type will do, just want to see what temperature probe options are available.

Have you checked Ebay, they have several that are 2M long. You'll need to terminate them yourself with the correct plug - that's not difficult.

i wasn't sure if lengthening the wiring on these types of temperature probes would affect their accuracy or function. i found some 3.5mm audio extension cables to see if an extension cable on the probes would work. it worked. instead of buying whole new probes, i can just pick up the cheapest ones i can find around $10, and use extension cables to make them as long as i need them to be.

i wasn't sure if lengthening the wiring on these types of temperature probes would affect their accuracy or function.

It certainly can so make sure you use a good quality cable/connectors. If you look at a resistance chart you can see how the change in resistance will affect the measured temperature: http://www.hayashidenko.co.jp/en/info14.html

For example, an increase of 10ohms will throw the reading off by 3C in the range you will probably be measuring.

Last edited:
Reactions: fivetricks
It certainly can so make sure you use a good quality cable/connectors. If you look at a resistance chart you can see how the change in resistance will affect the measured temperature: http://www.hayashidenko.co.jp/en/info14.html

For example, an increase of 10ohms will throw the reading off by 3C in the range you will probably be measuring.

i bought a pair of 6 foot long 3.5mm audio extension cables to extend the temperature probe cable length and it did add some resistance. i tested the probes with and without the extension cables in boiling water, and the extension cable reads 1F higher. i just have to remember to add in the -1F correction to the PID unit.

i'm happy with the extension cables, and at $7 for a pair of extension cables versus $60 or more for a pair of new probes with slightly longer cables, it's hella cheaper.

Reactions: Richard Foster
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky