SOS brisket cook not going well.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binnesman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 23, 2021
Having a temp issue. The thick part of the flat just hit 192 but the big point end is 178 what can I do? I wrapped it at the 8hr mark which was 4;15 am eastern time. Help please

What is your pit temp? Going by built in therm or a aftermarket for pit temp?
Is one side of your pit a higher temp?

No using a smoke x4 by thermal works

Having a temp issue. The thick part of the flat just hit 192 but the big point end is 178 what can I do? I wrapped it at the 8hr mark which was 4;15 am eastern time. Help please
Also, just throwing this out, do you have the point and flat confused? Usually the point will be at a higher temp sooner than the flat

I guess I'd ride it out. If pit temp is stable side to side. Probe the point and separate when probe tender, and continue to cook the flat.

Just checked all over with the thermapen and the flatis 200 at the front and 194 at it’s thickest part of the flat. Does not feel like butter yet have so tension when I put In probe. Made several pokes around the brisket and the point is behind but feels better when I probed it

Reactions: mowin
Just checked all over with the thermapen and the flatis 200 at the front and 194 at it’s thickest part of the flat. Does not feel like butter yet have so tension when I put In probe. Made several pokes around the brisket and the point is behind but feels better when I probed it
Wrapping helped even things out. Good luck with the rest of the cook. Sounds like you got things under control.

You can separate the flat and point now, and let them cook separately. Especially if your going for burnt ends with the point. Good luck and enjoy that brisket

Chris

I think I’m gonna pull the brisket the point feels just as tender as the flat does even though it’s about 10° less in temperature. Is the fat misleading me?

I think I’m gonna pull the brisket the point feels just as tender as the flat does even though it’s about 10° less in temperature. Is the fat misleading me?
Yes the flat is misleading you with temp.

It is crazy difficult to get the probe in the correct spot. That is why I use 3 probes aiming for the sweet spot in the flat and go by the lowest one. I usually get 1 of the 3 right or close enough.

Just let tenderness guide you, that is the key.

I made a whole post about how difficult it is to hit the sweet spot on a brisket with temp probes:

kyssbbe-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Possibly. It is always nerve wracking when you are new. Patience is the key. I bet if you left that on for for a few more hours it would not be ruined. I deliberately do something else while smoking so I don't OCD and rush to pull.

Well I pulled it and wrapped in foil well and it’s sitting in the cooler. May the BQQ GODS be with.

So frustrating brisket to stressful. May just stick to ribs and chicken or just do a prime flat next time. Ohhh well if it did not turn out I can always make a nice gravy, smother it and call it a day. For better or worse I will let you all know. Will be awhile going to let it sit for 7hrs

So frustrating brisket to stressful. May just stick to ribs and chicken or just do a prime flat next time. Ohhh well if it did not turn out I can always make a nice gravy, smother it and call it a day. For better or worse I will let you all know. Will be awhile going to let it sit for 7hrs

#1 failure of brisket is timing and pulling too early so don't feel bad if this one doesn't hit the mark, it's just experience for the next one :)

If it is a little dry and tough you can always crock pot it with some BBQ sauce or throw it in the oven with BBQ sauce and it will turn out great. Not a loss at all just a little more process :)

#1 failure of brisket is timing and pulling too early so don't feel bad if this one doesn't hit the mark, it's just experience for the next one :)
+1000 THIS. If you have not perfected your pulled pork I would do that. RESIST RUSHING!!! As gmc2003 gmc2003 Chris says over is better than under for smoked stuff. Brisket is NOT steak!

Reactions: tallbm
I will keep you all posted and see how it came out. Be much later dinner not till 6

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky