Sopressata Vicentina (In the style of)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
My afternoon freed up. Had room in the chamber for 5kg more salami so I worked up the recipe last night for Vicentina. I used both Marianski's and Len Poli's recipes along with the PDO regulations for Vicentina, which hails from the Veneto province in Northeastern Italy along the Po river. This salami has the fat finely ground with the lean a little larger. It is very thoroughly mixed, and upon drying it is much softer than most salamis. It is one of the oldest salamis on record, being easily identified by the unique spice profile of cinnamon, clove, and rosemary. Merchants and Traders were said to be able to identify the salamis from the region from the spices.

I reduced the spice profile of Len's recipe by 1/3rd. I ran the fat through 4.5mm plate, lean through 6mm plate. Used Chianti wine for the high acidity and steeped 8 cloves of crushed garlic in it overnight. Stuffed into 60-65mm beef middles.

Spices, salt, cure#2, dextrose, and wine(with garlic) and starter culture..
IMG_20210106_153404.jpg

crushed garlic in wine..
IMG_20210106_153701.jpg

Lean and fat chilled ready to grind...
IMG_20210106_150914.jpg

Thought I snapped a pic. of the fat and lean grind and the final mixing, but I did not....bummer...

Well, here they are trussed hanging in the fermentation trash can.
IMG_20210106_180220.jpg

Stater culture was mixed in around 1:00pm so sometime around 7-8pm tomorrow night they should be ready to move to the chamber...and now it will be full.

Last edited:
Sounds amazing. Pic didn’t post. You are definitely the king of these type salamis. I gotta try it sooner or later.

Sounds amazing. Pic didn’t post. You are definitely the king of these type salamis. I gotta try it sooner or later.
Thank you jcam222. I don't know about King, but I've spent many years wrapping my head around what it takes to make salami before I got started. Not necessary, but I wanted to understand the ins and outs before I started. And yes, you do need to get started, it's a great hobby!

Reactions: jcam222
I dont see any pics.
How about now? It is easier for me to type on my laptop rather than my phone, and the fastest way to upload pics. is on my phone, so I either have to upload the pics first, or type the post out, then pull out my phone and drop in the pics....just give me a few minutes to finish, pics. will be posted.

Reactions: pc farmer
I was very skeptical of the spice profile when I saw it. I had to go into the kitchen last night and mix some up and whiz it in my spice grinder, then smell it. Wow! All three spices are very strong spices, so I knew I'd not need a lot. When mixed together, the aroma was fantastic! I knew I had to make some Vicentina!

Recipe I used:

Sopressata Vicentina

Lean Pork; Leg, loin, shoulder 700g
Fat; Back & Belly 300g

Sea Salt 22.5g
Cure #2 3g
Dextrose 4g
Black pepper, coarse ground 2.7g
sugar, raw 3g
*cinnamon 0.235g
*clove 0.15g
*rosemary 0.15g

3 cloves garlic steeped in 20mL chianti overnight.
1.25g Flavor of Italy starter culture in 60mL distilled water
2g mold 600 in 1/2 cup distilled water (mix at least 5 hours before application)
(3) 60-65mm beef middles, 24-25" long

*If only making 1kg. I recommend multiplying the amounts by 5 so you have enough to whiz in a spice grinder. Then weigh out .535g of the spice blend on an accurate scale.

I made 5kg. of Vicentina, 3 salamis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
Sounds great
When is the tasting party for all the things you been making???
Give me heads up so I have time to get there.

Warren

Glad the pics got straightened out. That's a great looking process and it sounds like it's gonna be a great sausage. You sure do turn out some fantastic looking stuff Keith!! Keep up the great work...I love seeing it :emoji_wink:

Give me heads up so I have time to get there

Yah...what he said!! Hey Warren, think you could swing by and pick me up on your way to Keith's? I'll split gas costs with you :emoji_laughing:

Robert

IDS, Looking good !!!!
Thanks Crazy!

Inda

You been making some gooooood stuff.

I miss it
Thanks Rick. You know those big offset cookers on wheels people tow to cookouts? You need one of those except it would be a curing chamber! LOL!
Seriously though, why the hell did I wait so long to start doing this? I'm really having fun!

Sounds great
Give me heads up so I have time to get there.

Warren
Thanks Warren. I'm really looking forward to the big dinner parties we use to put on before Covid hit...I'll have lots of different stuff for the board!

Glad the pics got straightened out. That's a great looking process and it sounds like it's gonna be a great sausage. You sure do turn out some fantastic looking stuff Keith!! Keep up the great work...I love seeing it :emoji_wink:

Yah...what he said!! Hey Warren, think you could swing by and pick me up on your way to Keith's? I'll split gas costs with you :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Thanks Robert! I just wish my chamber was larger so I could keep making more products!!! LOL!!

Thanks Crazy!

Thanks Rick. You know those big offset cookers on wheels people tow to cookouts? You need one of those except it would be a curing chamber! LOL!
Seriously though, why the hell did I wait so long to start doing this? I'm really having fun!

Thanks Warren. I'm really looking forward to the big dinner parties we use to put on before Covid hit...I'll have lots of different stuff for the board!

Thanks Robert! I just wish my chamber was larger so I could keep making more products!!! LOL!!

Yeah aren't we all just our kids and grannies would be great.

Warren

Robert

Would love too Robert but I have to clean up my act first. My 11 year old granddaughter has me in time out. :emoji_disappointed:

Warren

Would love too Robert but I have to clean up my act first. My 11 year old granddaughter has me in time out.

Don't feel bad Warren. Tracy has me sitting in the corner with the "dunce" cap on. At least we waited till after Christmas to be bad :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Well, the Vicentina reached pH of 5.19 in 27 hours....
IMG_20210107_155607.jpg

You can see from this pic. how well commuted the fat and meat are, even more so than Milano Salami. Hung them in the chamber with the rest of the salami. Now we wait.....

Last edited:
Reactions: BGKYSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky