Somewhat Dry Brisket Flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chuckwagn

Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Central NJ
Could not find a packer brisket. Settled for a select flat. Trimmed leaving 1/4 inch fat on underside.
Camp Chef Woodwind with Pitt Boss Hickory Pellets ...225 till internal temp of 165. Misted with Apple Cider Vinegar and water every hour.
Wrapped in Aluminum Raised smoker to 275 till internal temp reached 205. Rested in cooler for 90 mins....
Cut against grain.... passed bend test. Good smoke ring. But, somewhat dry!!!!! Maybe Prime piece would have been more moist. Did I forget to do something?Help! 4A4C7222-C076-4B77-AEB9-6C549B8950C0.jpeg F88EB283-FC30-410C-A50D-3A8D7E2B77DF.jpeg AE9028C7-A582-4474-8321-7DC37ADDDF23.jpeg 4A4C7222-C076-4B77-AEB9-6C549B8950C0.jpeg F88EB283-FC30-410C-A50D-3A8D7E2B77DF.jpeg AE9028C7-A582-4474-8321-7DC37ADDDF23.jpeg 5546AC94-6531-43BB-AB7A-A26BD151C5BC.jpeg

Reactions: Johnny Ray
Flats font have much fat. You did most everything right. Next time add some good beef broth and butter when you foil or pan. You can also try an injection which will help also. Nice looking brisket though

Reactions: Dunstablegrizzly
Sometimes the meat just ain’t gonna be your friend. I assume it probed well(felt tender)? Brisket looks great!

Could not find a packer brisket. Settled for a select flat. Trimmed leaving 1/4 inch fat on underside.
Camp Chef Woodwind with Pitt Boss Hickory Pellets ...225 till internal temp of 165. Misted with Apple Cider Vinegar and water every hour.
Wrapped in Aluminum Raised smoker to 275 till internal temp reached 205. Rested in cooler for 90 mins....
Cut against grain.... passed bend test. Good smoke ring. But, somewhat dry!!!!! Maybe Prime piece would have been more moist. Did I forget to do something?Help!View attachment 467453View attachment 467454View attachment 467455View attachment 467453View attachment 467454View attachment 467455View attachment 467456
Two tips for bbqing brisket flats... 1. On Pellet Grills, always bbq them with the fat cap down... The heat source is coming from the bottom, so the fat cap will help to protect the brisket from drying out. 2. Trying also using a beef injection to help add some extra moisture to the brisket flat. Brisket Flats have much less marbling then the brisket point does, so a good beef injection will help prevent the brisket flats from drying out. A pellet smoke tube or a smoke generator can also help add some more smoke flavor if you feel it’s needed as well with your pellet grill. Nice looking brisket... Good luck on the next one.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Did it probe tender at 205F?

I smoked and wrapped a Choice packer recently, but I've smoked more Select grades than any other grade. Lightly trimmed. Wrapped at 180F IT with 1 cup beef broth.

I haven't smoked a flat alone in I can't remember how long. I may buy a flat just to try this new (to me) resting method to see the results. I suspect it will be just as world rocking.

Flats font have much fat. You did most everything right. Next time add some good beef broth and butter when you foil or pan. You can also try an injection which will help also. Nice looking brisket though
Thanks TNJAKE! Thanks for the tips.

Two tips for bbqing brisket flats... 1. On Pellet Grills, always bbq them with the fat cap down... The heat source is coming from the bottom, so the fat cap will help to protect the brisket from drying out. 2. Trying also using a beef injection to help add some extra moisture to the brisket flat. Brisket Flats have much less marbling then the brisket point does, so a good beef injection will help prevent the brisket flats from drying out. A pellet smoke tube or a smoke generator can also help add some more smoke flavor if you feel it’s needed as well with your pellet grill. Nice looking brisket... Good luck on the next one.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi
Thx RC Alan! Thanks for sharing your tips!

Did it probe tender at 205F?

I smoked and wrapped a Choice packer recently, but I've smoked more Select grades than any other grade. Lightly trimmed. Wrapped at 180F IT with 1 cup beef broth.

I haven't smoked a flat alone in I can't remember how long. I may buy a flat just to try this new (to me) resting method to see the results. I suspect it will be just as world rocking.
Thanks noboundaries. No more flats for awhile. Not discouraged. Will move on to pork and maybe beef ribs.

I'm not the brisket expert . Last flat I did was like yours . Which looks good btw , mine was better re heated the next day , and even better the third day .

Great smoke ring!
I either purchase flats or separate packers into flat and point.
I wrap at 170° and move to the oven. Once wrapped don't waste the pellets when gas or electric can be the heat.

I disagree with fat cap down at the end of the smoke.
A pellet pooper is basically a convection oven. Yes it may be a little hotter on the underside, but the upper cook chamber is still hot and the air flow rivals a stick burner.
I start the smoke with fat down and flip when internal goes past 100°. Wrapping early keep more fat and internal moisture in foil for a steam finish.

I'm not the brisket expert . Last flat I did was like yours . Which looks good btw , mine was better re heated the next day , and even better the third day .
Brisket Tacos tonight after a few hours in crockpot with some broth. Thanks . Stay safe.

Great smoke ring!
I either purchase flats or separate packers into flat and point.
I wrap at 170° and move to the oven. Once wrapped don't waste the pellets when gas or electric can be the heat.

I disagree with fat cap down at the end of the smoke.
A pellet pooper is basically a convection oven. Yes it may be a little hotter on the underside, but the upper cook chamber is still hot and the air flow rivals a stick burner.
I start the smoke with fat down and flip when internal goes past 100°. Wrapping early keep more fat and internal moisture in foil for a steam finish.
Thanks FuelingAround! Will consider wrapping earlier and using oven. Why not!

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky