Some thanksgiving advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigmoe615

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Nashville, TN
Hi everyone! Hopefully this question hasnt been asked yet. I searched and couldnt find what i was looking for. I have been ask to smoke the turkey for my inlaws. I havent done a whole turkey before but have done a breast. The situation gets a little tricky for me because the inlaws are in memphis and the wife wants to go on Wednesday afternoon instead of Thursday. Memphis is about a 3 hr drive. I have a big stick burner that i cant transport and a wsm that I can bring with me and smoke in memphis. The plan was to bring the smoker and smoke it there so everyone is happy and they wanted to "see the smoking process". So my question is if i plan to brine an 8lb bird when would i do it? I dont think they have as much fridge space so would i brine and dry at home then wrap and take the turkey on ice? Should i brine here wrap it and take it on ice and not worry about drying? Should i not brine at all? Or cook it on my stick burner a day early and take the cooked bird and tell them "sorry nothing to SEE here"? Ive only brined chickens before but never had a delay in timing. How will it affect the meat if i brine and dry so early? Will it be a problem with the skin if i am drying it to put it back in a cooler? So many questions. Hope someone can help!

Thanks!
Moe

Ever consider injecting the bird rather than brine it? Man.. You've got so much going on as it is.  b

Thanks for your response BDSkelly that is actually what one of my buddies just suggested. I'm thinking that may be my best option here. Guess I'll start researching turkey injections. Any tried and true recipe suggestions?

Hi everyone just wanted to give an update on my thanksgiving bird. I took your advice BDSkelly and injected the bird. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the injection you suggested here in time so I just used the
Tony Chachere's Injectable Butter. I then put a few pads of butter under the skin of the breast meat and did a light rub with a rub I found in St Louis. I stuffed it with apples, orange peels, lemon peels, lime peels, rosemary, thyme and sage. I smoked it with charcoal and some apple wood chunks in the wsm at about 285 for 3.5-4hrs (don't remember the exact time). After hr 2 I mopped every 30 mins or so with a recipe I found in one of my favorite BBQ books given to me by a good friend. It came out great and the flavor was awesome. I did do Chef Jimmy's smokey gravy but only 2 people ate it. They all tasted it and said it was good but the turkey was moist enough to not need it. I would definitely do it again! Thank you again for your help! I've included a pic of the mop recipe and some que view below hope you all enjoy! I forgot to take a pic before I carved sorry I got too excited! The pre-carved turkey pics are about 45 min from being done. As you can see it only got a bit darker in the carved shots.

Looks like you presented an awesome meal to your family.  Thats what its all about!  The bird looks perfect. Happy you enjoyed the method.  B

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky