Some Question about Smoking Pork Butt Ahead of Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm going to avoid the physics and chemistry lessons concerning cooking meat. Just know that heat absorption by the meat slows as the meat temp rises closer to the chamber temp.

Use a smoker temp initially that maximizes good smoke on your pellet smoker at the start (180°F/200°F/225°F). As the meat reaches the stall (140‐165°F meat temp) in 3-4 hours, crank the smoker temp up to increase the chamber temp-meat temp difference. 275°F/300°F/325°F/350°F/ and higher, I've used them all. Higher temp = faster clock. The difference in texture and tenderness is negligible. Wrap/don't wrap, it's up to you. No wrap = crispy bark. Foil wrap = soft bark. BP wrap is in the middle.

Fat does add to juiciness of the meat, but melted collagen in the hard-working muscle is what actually makes the meat tender and juicy. Butts aren't lazy steak muscles. An undercooked butt is dry and chewy. An overcooked butt falls apart but is still tender and juicy.

If resting the butt in an oven or cooler, wrap it.

This is solid, no-nonsense advice. Thank you, sir!

Reactions: noboundaries
A couple more questions if the forum does not mind! The chefjimmyj method worked perfectly for preserving (and serving) pulled pork a couple days in advance. Now I am wondering about holding pork shoulders for pulled pork that are finished 12 hours or less before serving. I am assuming it is best to hold them whole in either an oven or faux cambro??? If not, ignore the questions below and feel free to just tell me I am wrong altogether :-)

1) At what point is it better to hold the pork shoulder in a faux cambro, versus in a 150-170 degree oven? I would presume that depends on the number of hours it is finished cooking before being served??

2) When holding the meat in a warm (not hot) oven around 150-170 degrees, for how many hours can it be held before things start to go south?

3) Should the pork shoulder be wrapped in butcher paper or foil for oven holding just as if it was going into a faux cambro?

Thank you!!

I've never held any cut of meat for 12 hours. I have smoked butts that finished 12+ hours before being served. I pull the meat, add some of the juices back, cover and refrigerate. A couple hours before serving I stick the meat in a slow cooker or in a 250°F oven until warm, then drop the heat to low or minimum setting until service.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky