Some like it hot, some not!

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by dirtsailor2003, Jul 18, 2013.

1. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

OMG!!!!

That's how much a whole chicken costs!!!! I bought it because I want to do a spatchy chicken. I also bought quarters that were on sale and cost half what the whole chicken was for the same weight!

So for this smoke I am doing a spatched chicken. Not everyone likes hot and spicy. But I and the fiancée so. So why not inject half the bird, Scarbelly style and not the other half!!! So that's what I did.

More to come!

2. It's nuts, chicken thigh/leg combos and split breasts are always on sale for like $0.99 per lb around here, but if you want the whole chicken, it's at least $1.99 per lb or so. You would think the parts would cost more to process.

/shrug

3. dirtsailor2003

I hear you it doesn't make any sense!!!

4. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

Case my birds are all natural and are about a buck per pound!   That's price is NUTS!!!  LOL.     Make sure you don't ruin that expensive bird on that crappy little smoker ok? ;)

No foil brother...let the drippings ride!

5. Case I'm in [​IMG]  

Whole chicken here is about .99 most of the time. I'm a thigh kinda guy.

Happy smoken.

David

6. fwismoker

Case i stand corrected on the chicken prices, just at the store and they're .89 cents!   I could trade you chickens for Tri tips! [​IMG]   lol

7. dirtsailor2003

The half chickens were $9 bucks too???? That'd be $18 for a bird WTF???

The quarters were $0.99 lb. I bought 4 flats 5 lb average. I vac packed them two quarters to a pac.

8. dirtsailor2003

Dumped the chimney a bit soon, this works well to amp things up!

9. dirtsailor2003

So there's the golden child, one half injected Scarbelly style, the other half just seasoned in the smoker at 180* while the smoker heats up, going for 325* burning 365 brand lump and pecan tonight.

10. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Be cheaper to raise your own.  [​IMG]

11. dirtsailor2003

The neighbors across the street asked if I wanted theirs. When I told them I had plenty if freezer space for them the offer was rescinded!!!

Oh Pecan TBS, how I love you!

12. jaxrmrjmr

jaxrmrjmr Smoking Fanatic

I'm just under a buck for whole chickens.  The $1.99 may have something to do with the type of bird you bought.  I can't see the entire label, but it looks like it is "American Humane Association Certified" which is probably why it's so expensive.

They are humanely raised and humanely killed just like other chickens, but cost a lot more.  I guess their chicken house is filled with love!  [​IMG]

13. dirtsailor2003

Unfortunately this is the bargain basement chicken. The organic birds were twice the price!!! It's just where I live!

14. fwismoker

Yep it would be a good trade Case..chickens for tri tips.  If we could just figure out the shipping thing.[​IMG]

15. dirtsailor2003

They ship live lobsters from Maine to Oregon, and live Dungeness Crab form Oregon to Maine.

Unfortunately the shipping would be killer! Plus I prefer tri tip to chicken!!!

16. dirtsailor2003

Pecan darkens up the skin more than cherry!

17. fwismoker

Atta boy...now the birds look alike!      Looks awesome Case!

18. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Case

That chicken looks great at any price. $$$   Love that pecan. (puh- khan in Texanese ...not pee-can)

Brian

19. dirtsailor2003

Just a few more shots to wet your whistle.

How Bout a dust the ashes off direct burn, no grate required!

20. dirtsailor2003