Some guy posted a soup thread last week.......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GATOR240

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 15, 2017
N.Western Pa.
..........and it stuck with me. Steve H Steve H posted "potato and sausage soup" known as Zuppa Toscana. Well, today was rainy and in the upper 60's in NW. Pa. with a hint of fall in the air...soup weather, so, I decided to make it and followed Steve's recipe to the letter. I did use my own bacon which I made last year. This recipe is the second one under "Hot Threads" so I will not post it in this thread. I apologize in advance for the quality of the pictures...sometimes they come out ok sometimes they don't :

I cut my homade bacon up into bite sized pieces and fried in the CI skillet.
20200913_115739.jpg

The sausage is starting to get happy:
20200913_120950.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of the onions and garlic being sauted but here is is a pic of the first 5 ingredients added to the crockpot:
20200913_124336.jpg

After two and a half hours lookin' good:
20200913_134336.jpg

Added the heavy cream and kale for the last 30 minutes, and, like Steve added the slurry of cornstarch and water to make it thicker:
20200913_163837.jpg

And the finished product along with some slices from a baguette. (sorry for the bad pics):
20200913_165143.jpg

20200913_164513.jpg

20200913_164504.jpg

And for the verdict: It was a very hearty and filling soup and absolutely delicious. All of the flavors worked very well together - I was wondering about the hot sausage and hot pepper flakes along with the heavy cream, but it was terrific. A very big thank you to Steve H for posting this- This is a keeper and is going to be a favorite for sure.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Looks great Denny. Its really feeling like fall here. I like it

Looks like you did an awesome job! Nothing wrong with your pics as far as I can see.

Ryan

That looks delicious ... now you guys need to send some of that cool/fall weather down south... I am so ready for our 5 days of winter ...
Brother aint that the truth. I'm just so glad that the temps and humidity are finally trending down a little here in Mississippi. Gotta try out the soup recipe.
Jim

Nice Denny . Love fall weather , and that would be a perfect meal .
Thank you Chop. Love the fall weather too, looks like we're getting several more days of it. It is definately a very filling soup.
Thanks for the like!

That looks delicious ... now you guys need to send some of that cool/fall weather down south... I am so ready for our 5 days of winter ...
Thank you JD. We've had several in the last week and a half coming our way and several more to come........ will see what I can do.

Awesome man! I saved his soup recipe to make as well. Looks like you nailed it. LIKE
Thanks SVf. I think you will really enjoy it! Let us know when you make it.
Thanks for the like!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky