Some fermented hot sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I got to make some fermented hot sauce this year using thai chiles that I grew in planters on my deck. The first sauce I made was month ago but I ended up getting a bit more peppers so I started a second smaller batch. The second small batch just finished up so I figure I would show both.

Here's the first batch, it came out very good. It has a nice subtle carrot taste with a hot kick. It is absolutely delicious on Chinese food.
IMG_5564.jpg

2 organic carrots
4 cloves garlic
1/2 thumb ginger
1/2 red onion
8oz. bag of mini sweet peppers ( I wanted orange and red to keep the color of the sauce)
5 or 6 Habaneros
20 Thai chiles
3% brine (purified water and pickling salt)
Fermented for 2 weeks
White vinegar
sugar
*Xanthum gum to thicken( I didn't have this)

Roughly chop ingredients and add to a clean and sterilized mason jar. I left the onions in big pieces to tuck the rest of the ingredients below the brine. Onion is less susceptible to mold so it went in last. Weighed all ingredients down with a ziploc bag filled with brine. Airlock has vodka in it.
IMG_5503.jpg

2 weeks later.
IMG_5523.jpg

Once fermented for two weeks, vegetables were strained and brine reserved. I added approx 1/2 cup of brine and 1/2 cup of white vinegar and blended everything together. I didn't strain the pulp because it didn't make a lot. I also added a Tbsp of sugar. Sauce was 3.4 on the PH scale, but I also heated to kill the fermentation process. Taste your sauce because if you want more tang, add vinegar...saltier...add brine. After the sauce was finished, I bottled it in clean 5oz woozy bottles that were also sanitized with Star San.

Since I got a little bit more peppers, I quickly made a second batch. I just used what I had on hand, the thai chiles and garlic. I let this batch go for 3 weeks.
IMG_5580.jpg

I decided to strain this batch. Once strained I added 1/4c. brine and 1/4c. Apple cider vinegar to the blender. I also added some raw honey, about 3T worth.
IMG_5703.jpg

Here's it strained with the pepper mash left behind.
IMG_5706.jpg

IMG_5705.jpg

Here's the finished sauce. I decided not to heat the sauce this time to kill the fermentation process. Since there was such a small amount plus added honey, I'm just going to keep the bottle in the fridge to slow the fermentation process. I want to taste the sauce and see how the flavors change and develop over time.
IMG_5708.jpg

For only having the chiles and garlic fermenting with only honey added, I must say I really enjoyed this sauce as well. It tastes a lot better than I thought it would. I'll keep the big bottle in the fridge and refill a small woozy bottle with a drip stop cap because this sauce is much thinner than the first one I made. If I had xanthum gum on hand, I would have added it to this sauce to help with separation and thicken it a bit. But it's nothing a few shakes can't fix.

Since I didn't want to waste the leftover mash, I spread the mash out on parchment paper and threw it in the dehydrator. The mash dried for about 8 hours.
IMG_5709.jpg

Once it was dried, I crumbled it up into a jar. Here's the chili flakes it made. These were awesome, and they smelled absolutely great too!
IMG_5714.jpg

Decided to take it a step further and grind the flakes up with fine kosher salt. I used a 1:1 salt ratio since these peppers aren't exactly hot to me. This fermented chili salt smells exactly like hot buffalo wings. You could still smell the tangy fermented peppers. This made 2 full McCormick salt grinders (I pull the tops off and reuse them)
62586806090__C86FB0BE-FE0A-4970-9412-3A7AEF16E77A.jpg

Hopefully next year I can make a lot more. This was a fun and enjoyable project for me.

Thanks for posting these Joe. Both look fantastic. Passing the link along to my friend who was asking. Think I may give some a go at some point too. I eat a lot of hot sauce. My cheap store go to is any El Yucateca.

I don't get to use much hot sauce Joe, wife just plain can't take it, but a big like. What you produced looks to be fantastic, and I especially like the mash dried and ground into a rub, great work! RAY

Thanks for taking the time to post this with all the detailed recipes Joe! It looks fantastic and I bet tasty as hell. Nice!

Man that looks good!
We like hot & that sure looks like our kinda sauce.
Gonna have to give it a try!
Thanks for posting the recipe!
Al

Reactions: babydocsmoker
Nice! This thread reminded me to check my Carolina Reaper 4% salt mash. It's been a year so I'll have to update my 2019 Carolina Reapers thread. Today I just made a puree with pretty much all the brine, strained and into a condiment bottle, no vinegar to get the benefits of the probiotic lactobacillus so not room temp stable and stays in the fridge. I wanted a thinner McIlhenny's Tabasco sauce. The year long ferment tastes great and really knocks down the heat.

Reactions: chopsaw
That's awesome joe. Something I'm gonna try soon for sure. I bet the one with habanero is delicious

Thanks Jake! I'm very pleased with both the sauces, and they both have very different flavor profiles. The first sauce with the habanero isn't too hot, although some thought it had a kick. I might up the amount next time I make it.

Try making some fermented hot sauce when you get the chance. I got a late start because I had trouble locating jars and lids. The airlocks came from a homebrew store/winery close to me. I grabbed a few and made the lids.
Thanks for posting these Joe. Both look fantastic. Passing the link along to my friend who was asking. Think I may give some a go at some point too. I eat a lot of hot sauce. My cheap store go to is any El Yucateca.

Thanks Jeff, I have a small collection in my fridge. The Yucateca is a good one. I've really been enjoying the Hot Ones Los Calientes (green one). That's quickly becoming a favorite.

It's really easy to do and a lot of fun too!

Sauces look great! Fermenting is beginning to peak my interest.

Thanks Adam, I've been doing a lot of reading up on fermenting since last year. I got a late start this year because I had trouble finding some stuff. I'm going to get bigger and more jars and some glass fermentation weights too.

Reactions: tag0401
I don't get to use much hot sauce Joe, wife just plain can't take it, but a big like. What you produced looks to be fantastic, and I especially like the mash dried and ground into a rub, great work! RAY

Thank You Ray! I don't cook much with hotsauce just chiles. Hot sauce I add at the table on my plate. My wife isn't the biggest into spicy food, but I'm slowly building her tolerance. She took the thinner sauce with the thai/garlic all by herself, she really likes that one. The chili salt is pretty tasty too, smells just like fried buffalo wings!

Looks delicous Joe

Thanks Jim!

Thanks for taking the time to post this with all the detailed recipes Joe! It looks fantastic and I bet tasty as hell. Nice!

Thank you John, In the future I'll post everything in grams, much easier that way, especially for replicating. I actually didn't realize that my scale measured in grams until I was calculating the brine. I'm an idiot.

Man that looks good!
We like hot & that sure looks like our kinda sauce.
Gonna have to give it a try!
Thanks for posting the recipe!
Al

Thanks Al! It's fun to experiment making these sauces.

Nice! This thread reminded me to check my Carolina Reaper 4% salt mash. It's been a year so I'll have to update my 2019 Carolina Reapers thread. Today I just made a puree with pretty much all the brine, strained and into a condiment bottle, no vinegar to get the benefits of the probiotic lactobacillus so not room temp stable and stays in the fridge. I wanted a thinner McIlhenny's Tabasco sauce. The year long ferment tastes great and really knocks down the heat.

That sounds awesome Dr! I noticed the ferment kicked down the heat of the habaneros. It's still there, but it's pleasant and you pick up the other flavors in the sauce nicely too. Once I get a few ferments under my belt, I'll try a longer one like you did.

The final PH on both my sauces were 3.4 but I kept them in the fridge anyway. Have you noticed a change in the taste as it sits longer in the fridge?

That sounds awesome Dr! I noticed the ferment kicked down the heat of the habaneros. It's still there, but it's pleasant and you pick up the other flavors in the sauce nicely too. Once I get a few ferments under my belt, I'll try a longer one like you did.

The final PH on both my sauces were 3.4 but I kept them in the fridge anyway. Have you noticed a change in the taste as it sits longer in the fridge?
I fermented the year at room temp in a dark closet. This is my 1st time after researching here for months. I tasted the brine a couple times and it smelled and tasted like the expecred results I've been reading. The brine was transparent but darker from the extended soak. I just wanted to make sure it was ok not mold. A few specks of kahm yeast on the top but not worth opening to remove and ruin the Co2 airspace. I kept the airlock filled monthly. After it was pureed and sieved a drop on my finger had a light pleasant fermented flavor. This pic looks like dark mash but was bright red and the brine looks darker too but clear with a plastic disk and a shot glass to hold mash down. Next time Im using the food grade plastic disk cut out from a cutting mat with large glass gems in the original plastic mesh bag it come in from the Dollar Tree to keep the mash submerged. It will be much easier.

Attachments

• 20201102_125515.jpg
    20201102_125515.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201102_170409.jpg
    20201102_170409.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 19
I fermented the year at room temp in a dark closet. This is my 1st time after researching here for months. I tasted the brine a couple times and it smelled and tasted like the expecred results I've been reading. The brine was transparent but darker from the extended soak. I just wanted to make sure it was ok not mold. A few specks of kahm yeast on the top but not worth opening to remove and ruin the Co2 airspace. I kept the airlock filled monthly. After it was pureed and sieved a drop on my finger had a light pleasant fermented flavor. This pic looks like dark mash but was bright red and the brine looks darker too but clear with a plastic disk and a shot glass to hold mash down. Next time Im using the food grade plastic disk cut out from a cutting mat with large glass gems in the original plastic mesh bag it come in from the Dollar Tree to keep the mash submerged. It will be much easier.

The plastic disk and glass stones seem like a good idea. I used a plastic baggie filled with brine for my weight and had a few long strips of red onion tucked over the top to help keep everything down. That worked well but would rather use a glass weight or your method. Did you see the lids with the spring that pushes your ferment/weight down? They look like they would work also.

Although I didn't have any mold or kahm yeast issues, I worried about maybe something growing in the folds of the baggie. I cleaned and sprayed my lids and airlock with star san.

That's a nice color on your ferment. Post up some pictures of the finished product if you're able. I bet that will be a nice hue when finished.

Looks great, Joe! Thank you for posting an advice on how to use the mash... This is first time this year I am fermenting Scotch bonnet, Thai chili and habanero each separately and as a mix. Scotch bonnet & Thai chili fermenting for two month already and I want to wait for one more month. Habanero and a mix chilies fermenting for one month so.... will stay there for two more months. I am not going to cook my souses but will leave it in the fridge for slow and extended fermentation till.... I consume all!! :emoji_wink:

Reactions: xray
Looks great, Joe! Thank you for posting an advice on how to use the mash... This is first time this year I am fermenting Scotch bonnet, Thai chili and habanero each separately and as a mix. Scotch bonnet & Thai chili fermenting for two month already and I want to wait for one more month. Habanero and a mix chilies fermenting for one month so.... will stay there for two more months. I am not going to cook my souses but will leave it in the fridge for slow and extended fermentation till.... I consume all!! :emoji_wink:

Thank you! Making the sauce, mixing different ingredients, straining vs. blending everything together is strictly a matter of personal preference...but if you were going to strain the sauce, I would HIGHLY recommend not throwing the mash out and drying it instead. The chili flakes smelled and tasted wonderful! But I have enough chili flakes around the house, so I grinded these to a powder and added salt.

If you’re using superhots, I would play with the ratio of salt to chili flakes. Mine was 1:1 but for something like reapers I would go 5 parts salt to 1 part reaper and adjust from there...again all personal preference.

I’m looking forward to see your final product. Don’t let me miss it.

This is something I would like to figure out .

Rich, check out ATX hot sauces on YouTube. He doesn’t go into too much detail with exact amounts when it comes to ingredients, probably because he sells it...but the videos are a pretty good watch on how the process works.

Reactions: chopsaw
X-ray this is awesome! I am fermenting peppers as we speak. I have multiple ferments going, and can't wait to see how it all comes out. Thanks for sharing!!

X-ray this is awesome! I am fermenting peppers as we speak. I have multiple ferments going, and can't wait to see how it all comes out. Thanks for sharing!!

Sounds good! What kind of peppers are you fermenting? I’ll be interested in what you make with them. Definitely save the mash if straining!

After watching you obliterate that chip challenge, I don’t think there’s a pepper out there hot enough for you:emoji_wink:

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky