Some coho and sockeye salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I found time to take care of a 12lbs coho fillet batch and two sockeye fillets (1lb each).

I cut the bellies and tails of the coho.

Dry brining.

I use less salt for bellies/tails and sockeye. They will also spend a lot less time curing. I plan a short cold smoke then sous vide for those.

The thick part of the coho goes for classic longer cold smoke (also longer cure).

20181101_214245-1.jpg

Reactions: tropics
Those fish look really good Atomic.

Chris

I wanted to SV some salmon since my last hot smoked salmon run, when i took a piece out early, on purpose, undercooked by standards but loved the texture.

I cooked SV between 120-125. Did the little number with the skin strips. Pairs nicely with the sweetness of the salmon.

As for the texture of the SV salmon....unbeleivable. This should be the only way to serve salmon warm. Outstanding. Loved it.
20181104_165239.jpg

Very cool idea. Fried the skin strips?
Yes. The salty crunchiness of the skin strips pairs perfectly with the tender sweet salmon. Also it's an easy alternative to searing after SV. Some people like crust on their salmon. I like a curnchy exterior on white fish but i want buttery throughout when it comes to salmon. More like a sashimi half cooked.

Please keep in mind 120F is below the IT recommended for cooking meats and fish. If you do not eat raw fish due to health concerns please go for 145F.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky