• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sockeye... Lox and Pickled..... bbally's Lox recipe....

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I'm gonna make you cry...  Went to Safew... and lo and behold, in the refer case was a sockeye.... $2.99 / #..... What ??   "What is going on", I asked the meat guy...   "We had 3 cases in the freezer and it was time to get rid of them, the holidays and all".... "Got any more"... "You got the last one"..... This is where I cried... regular $8.99 marked down to $2.99...... I have got to get in on the preferred customer list.....

So, I have made many, many pounds of grav lox..... never "REAL" lox so I knew where to go.... bbally's recipe.... I followed it like my dog follows the UPS driver...(he has a pocket full of dog bones and Roxy knows it)....  

Any how, bride doesn't like grav lox but loves pickled salmon so most of the fish went in the pickle...  I love pickled salmon also but the opportunity to make "REAL" lox could not be overlooked.... 

The fish went through all the steps until the smoke.... 

Here is the lox portion in the MES with Pitmaster's Choice warming up and getting ready for the mailbox.... 

I got the small portion of the fish for my lox.... When Bride tastes it, she will probably like it

better than grav lox...  So I took extra for my share....   

Here is the pickled portion.... needs to be mixed yet but you can see the garlic, onions,

Texas Sweets, pepper corns....

There is also white vinegar, sugar, allspice,  clove and white pepper in the pickle..... 

The fish was "cured" with bbally's recipe.....   

don't that sockeye make you hungry ??  Does me....  

Thanks for lookin'.....  Dave 

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Looks great! I've been looking all over down here for a good deal on wild Salmon! Closest I've come yet was $12.95/lb for Sockeye!!!! I almost caved in and bought the pale pink farmed stuff, but knew I wouldn't be happy.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.