So many bacon questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattyoc20

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Dresher PA
Ok.  Im getting excited to start my bacon this weekend.  Looking to do pops brine but have some questions.  His instructions say 1 tablespoon of cure #1 per gallon.  If i am doing my math right my instructions on the package say to add 3oz per gallon which according to the package equals about 15 teaspoons.  It says 20 level teaspoons will equal 4oz.  There for 5 level teaspoons equal 1oz.  3oz equal 15 teaspoons.  Here is what i am working with.

Does that seem right?

Also i have a question about the pellicle.  Once it forms are you suppose to remove it?  I saw someone do that on a youtube video but i have not seen anyone reference that on here.

Finally, i will be cold smoking don't no the temps yet but i will only be using my amnps.  It may be around 40 degrees or so in my neck of the woods.  Is that ok?  I guess i could always throw some hot coals in there although i want to try and stay away from that as i don't want to be maintaining a constant temp in a charcoal smoker for 25 hours.

Once again thank you all for the help.

follow the recipe .......... 3 oz per gallon is way too much 

the pellicle is nothing more than letting the outer layer dry out ...... it needs to be dry for the smoke to adhere to it and give it that beautiful color ........ you do not remove it

cant help on your cold smoke question

Pops brine uses less cure. I use 2.8 oz per gallon since I didn't like guessing at a spoon full. Lol

For cold smoking temp doesn't matter.

The 3 oz per gallon will put you at or near the maximum safe level of cure. Pop's mixture of 1 tablespoon will cure the meat just fine. Many of us use it regularly. He also states that 1 heaping tablespoon = approximately 1 oz. Feel free to use a heaping tablespoon and enjoy your bacon.

Chuck

^^^^^^^ thanks for that post. I must have missed the 1 oz part

I have used pops brine twice now.  Its a proven brine with many year of experience behind it.   I cold smoke for 12  hrs with heavy smoke.   I then let it sit in the frig for at least 3 days to let the smoke mellow into the bacon.   It is simply awesome bacon.  I've also sold most of what I've done with great reviews!    I've got two more bellies to put in brine this week-end.   I cut the salt back to 3/4 of a cup to gallon for my personal taste.  Its always perfect.  10 days will get it cured all the way through in the bellies I've brined.  

Good luck, looking forward to seeing the finished product

Wes

Late here but I did pops brine on a belly and 3 butts for the ham. After smoking it is sooo good. great reviews from everybody that ate it.

I just finished 52 pounds of bacon cured using pops recipe. Swapped a couple of cups of apple juice for water. When I cold smoke my temps are 80 to 90 degrees. I usually smoke for 8 to 12 hours.. I use apple wood for my  bacon. I learned the hard way, dry wood is better, smoked 30 pounds fresh cut apple wood and , well there is a strong smell. Taste is good though. Careful on the cure, too much is bad!

nxsmile.gif

Just got done smoking,  Bacon smoked for about 20 hours at around 70 degrees or so.  I used pops brine.  Is it ok that it smoked at 70 degrees?  Is that to high of a temp?  It was really warm here the last few days.  Thanks again to everyone for the help.  I know ive been blowing up the "Cold Smoking-Bacon" sub- forum but the help is truly appreciated.

Awesome Mat.  I usually cold smoke around 70-80.  It does spike from time to time but I catch it quick.   Let us know how it turns out.  A good rest for 3-5 days will let the smoke mellow out.   Hope you have a good Christmas!

Awesome Mat.  I usually cold smoke around 70-80.  It does spike from time to time but I catch it quick.   Let us know how it turns out.  A good rest for 3-5 days will let the smoke mellow out.   Hope you have a good Christmas!
Dont no if i can wait that long!!!! the family is salivating.   Here is the Q view after the smoke for 20 hours

Its almost a different meat if you let it rest for a few days. Much, much better. Take the advice of the guys above...its worth the wait.

Mat, I know when I smoke belly its with heavy smoke.  If I slice it up right out of the smoker it has a very bitter smoke flavor.  Letting it rest  for a few days lets the smoke mellow into the belly.   You won't be disappointed with the wait.    If you can't wait, slice off a couple strips and see how it taste.  Then you'll know how long you need to let it rest.   Hope everyone has a good Christmas

Edit:   BTW your bacon looks awesome.

When you slice it, keep all the scrape and ends that you can't get through the slicer.   Put them in pintos the next time.   Not to much,  the smoke really comes out in the beans and your whole house will smell like awesome hickory smoked bacon.  

Last edited:
Thanks wes. My brother is town til tomorrow and he really wants to try it. So I may just do a little bit. Still nervous. It just doesn't well in my head that the bacon was at 70 degrees for 20 hours. Its in the bavk of my head that everyone is going to get sick.

I couldn't do it.  The family couldn't wait and i got a meat slicer for christmas so i sliced it up today.  It WAS OFF THE HOOK!!!!!!!  Man it was incredible.  Will be very had to buy store bought bacon after that.  A little to much smoke flavor i dont think i will smoke it as long next time but it is tasty.  Between what we ate today and what i am giving the inlaws this weekend, my bacon is all gone :(  Looks like i got to make some more!!!!  Thanks again for all the help everyone!!  And Merry Chirstmas

Last edited:
On your next run I think if you let it rest for a few days, you'll like the smoke better.  IMO.  I totally understand the bacon thing.   Store bought bacon now taste like a raw cut of meat.   Glad it worked out ok.  Keep messing with the times until you get it the way you like it.   There is no bad bacon!!!!

Special thanks to you wes for seeing me through this from the start. It really is a great community on here

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky