So I Hacked my MES30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SweetCosmicPope

Original poster
May 26, 2020
So a while back I asked about getting the smoke chief and putting it on my MES30 to get better smoke output. Well I went ahead and did it (my wife got me that and a thermapro for fathers day), and I gave it a whirl for the 4th of July. Here are the results:

I got up at about 4am to start the job. I routed the probes through the vent, mounted the bbq probe right above where the brisket would be sitting about halfway up the box. While the MES30 heated up, I trimmed the brisket and I seasoned it with a simple dalmation rub. Once I was done, I loaded up the smoke chief, turned it on and let it run for about 5 minutes to fill the box with smoke. Before you ask, yes I let it run for about an hour and a half the day before to cook off any lubricants and such.

I let it run until it hit 165, then I wrapped it in peach paper and put it back. Pushed right through the stall, but it did take a good long while to get up to 200. It wound up hitting 200 right around 6:30pm

Once it hit 200, I pulled the brisket and I set it and the dripping peach paper into a dry sheet of peach paper for easier handling (but did not unwrap the wet stuff), and put it into a cooler loaded with towels. Now, the intention was to leave it for about 2 hours, but my wife's sides finished a little faster than she intended and I had a hangry family demanding beef, so I pulled it after about 45 minutes. You can see the results in my pics. My take: this was the most tender and juiciest brisket I've ever had. You did not need a knife at all to eat it, and the flavor was amazing. I would have liked a bit of a darker colored bark, but it was still nice and crisp and more importantly flavorful. I would put this up against any competition brisket and give it a run for it's money.

As far as the technical aspects here are some shortcomings I found. The smoke chief clogs pretty easily. I used traeger brand pellets (Texas beef blend) because that's what they had at the store when I went. I found the smoke start to thin out a little bit and after multiple times monkeying with it I determined two things will clog it up: 1. about halfway through the smoke, tar builds up in the output pipe and it needs to be pulled and cleaned out with the included cleaning tool, 2. the hopper is a ~2" metal pipe and if the pellets are packed too tightly in there, they just get clogged and don't fall into the heating element. Several times I had to use the cleaning tool and shove it down in there to stir them up a bit and it would be smoking like crazy again.

Overall, I don't regret the decision to hack my MES30, as the brisket turned out absolutely amazing. And now that I've had a chance to try it out, I have some tricks to make it work a little better for next time.

Attachments

• bbq1.jpg
    bbq1.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 43
  • bbq2.jpg
    bbq2.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 47
  • bbq3.jpg
    bbq3.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 44
Thanks guys! It was delicious! And since I only have a family of 3, we were eating brisket sandwiches all week!

What's the advantage of this over the basic mailbox mod with a pellet maze? Just curious.

What's the advantage of this over the basic mailbox mod with a pellet maze? Just curious.

Sorry, I JUST saw this question when I came back here to show this to one of my coworkers. My apologies! I don't know that there is much of an advantage. It's kind of the same theory. You generate smoke externally, so you can provide smoke at a lower temperature. It's two ways of doing the same thing. This biggest benefit here, I think, is that I can just load up pellets and turn the thing on and let it do it's thing, instead of having to fuss with dryer hose and igniting pellets and stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky