Snow Day in MN - snack sticks on the MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ranger619

Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Minnesota
Hi Everyone!

My 10 year old son and I made our first snack sticks yesterday as a "test run" for the new Hakka sausage stuffer and the new MES 30. They've been in the fridge for 16+ hours, so they are ready for some heat and smoke. We've got major wind right now, some freezing rain and snow imminent. School is cancelled - so of course we're going to fire these up! I'm used to my Big Green Egg that gets used year round, so we'll see how the MES does in the wind/snow. It has already gone through the pre-seasoning...and I've got a place where I can move it under cover to keep the electronics safe.

5 pounds 80/20 ground chuck
Waltons snack stick mix (1/5 of the bag) and cure (1/5 of the small package they include)
Carrot fiber (1/5 of the package)
13 ounces of ice water
19mm collagen casings - mahogany (from Waltons)

AMNPS with hickory chips (first try with this too)

Started the smoker at 110F and got my sticks on racks. Also, making some "bear style" naked sticks with the leftover meat from the throat of the stuffer.

Smoking plan:

110F for about an hour
130F with smoke for an hour
145F with smoke for an hour
160F with smoke for an hour
170F until done

Here goes nothing! It is currently starting to snow sideways...

smoker.JPG sticks going on.JPG

Scott

Looking good Scott. Where are you located? I live in Farmington and work in Bloomington and we've just got some icy roads. No snow yet. Your going to wish you made more sticks I bet!!!

FYI...If you ever want to use Hi Temp Cheese, Von Hansons Meat Market sells a few varieties around $6/lb which I think is reasonable. Not sure where you at, but there is like 20 locations throughout MN.

Reactions: west1979
Tropics -

I saw your thread (or one similar) and had my retired father-in-law make me a set. Didn't use them this time as it was only a 5 pound batch and I had plenty of room on the racks. They will get put to use when it is time to make the venison summer sausage for sure!! Great design!!

Scott

Looking good Scott. Where are you located? I live in Farmington and work in Bloomington and we've just got some icy roads. No snow yet. Your going to wish you made more sticks I bet!!!

FYI...If you ever want to use Hi Temp Cheese, Von Hansons Meat Market sells a few varieties around $6/lb which I think is reasonable. Not sure where you at, but there is like 20 locations throughout MN.

meatsweats -

I'm in Hastings and work in Eagan - so not far from you. Thank you for the tip on the high-temp cheese availability local - it's cheap enough online but paying to ship it negates the good price. There is a Von Hansens in Eagan, Rosemount, and Apple Valley...none of those are too far out of the way.

Scott

What a great father-son bonding! The snack sticks are looking good. I bought my MES for sausage making since it’s was nightmare trying to do sausage at such low temps in my Big Green Egg.

What a great father-son bonding! The snack sticks are looking good. I bought my MES for sausage making since it’s was nightmare trying to do sausage at such low temps in my Big Green Egg.

Same here. Love the BGE for anything hotter than 180F. I use my BBQ Guru on long cooks/smokes. But, starting at a temp of 110F or 120F would be tough.

Scott

I am about 3.5 hours west of the cities and its ugly out here, snowing about an inch an hour and the power is starting to blink. I am thinking I am going to go home and eat some snack sticks I made 2 days ago! best of luck.

meatsweats -

I'm in Hastings and work in Eagan - so not far from you. Thank you for the tip on the high-temp cheese availability local - it's cheap enough online but paying to ship it negates the good price. There is a Von Hansens in Eagan, Rosemount, and Apple Valley...none of those are too far out of the way.

Scott
I got mine is Rosemount and I believe they had 4 different types. They also charge $12/lb for their snack sticks. It really makes you enjoy your own product that much more knowing how much it would cost to buy otherwise.

Bumped the MES 30 up to 145F now, it's chugging right along. Hickory pellets in the AMNPS are going strong and about 2/3 of one row is consumed. All is well so far and the snow is holding off for the moment.

Scott

Looking good guys - I'm in Minnetonka - just put 8 lbs on the smoker for a late afternoon smoke. I stuffed them yesterday, they've been in the fridge for about 24 hours. I wanted to jump in here cause I've been ordering my hi-temp cheese too but as you said, the shipping is a killer. Where have you found it in the metro? I've called Bongards and Mackenthuns and neither have it. Also, I like the way you do your sticks. I do similar process with my temps but usually go the first hour at 100 with no smoke to dry them a bit. I was told that helps the smoke stick. Not sure the science behind it but seems to work.I haven't had much luck with hanging mine though as they seem to get done more on the ends so I lay them on the rack and still have to rotate them some as the outsides gets hotter. I have Masterbuilt 30 electric smoker that I just started using last fall. I picked it up cheap on Craigslist. For a few years prior I had been using a bullet smoker that served me well but I had less control of the temps, had to open it all the way up to add wood chips and there wasn't as as much smoking surface area. I could only do about 5 lbs of sticks at a time. But I am enjoying the heck out of this nice weather and hoping to enjoy some beef and cheese sticks later tonight. Any insight on the hi temp cheese is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Looking good guys - I'm in Minnetonka - just put 8 lbs on the smoker for a late afternoon smoke. I stuffed them yesterday, they've been in the fridge for about 24 hours. I wanted to jump in here cause I've been ordering my hi-temp cheese too but as you said, the shipping is a killer. Where have you found it in the metro? I've called Bongards and Mackenthuns and neither have it. Also, I like the way you do your sticks. I do similar process with my temps but usually go the first hour at 100 with no smoke to dry them a bit. I was told that helps the smoke stick. Not sure the science behind it but seems to work.I haven't had much luck with hanging mine though as they seem to get done more on the ends so I lay them on the rack and still have to rotate them some as the outsides gets hotter. I have Masterbuilt 30 electric smoker that I just started using last fall. I picked it up cheap on Craigslist. For a few years prior I had been using a bullet smoker that served me well but I had less control of the temps, had to open it all the way up to add wood chips and there wasn't as as much smoking surface area. I could only do about 5 lbs of sticks at a time. But I am enjoying the heck out of this nice weather and hoping to enjoy some beef and cheese sticks later tonight. Any insight on the hi temp cheese is greatly appreciated.

I belive I've heard von hansens suggested before. Otherwise find any shop that makes their own sausage and they should be willing to help you out. I wouldnt go though when they are busy, try it when the owner/manager has time to chat a bit and find out what else they can help you with. I get casings, cases of pork trim, and other stuff from our local guy at much better pricing than I can find online and definitely better quality. I think a small operator would be more willing to work with you than a big operation like von hansens but I could be wrong.

All Von Hanson's should have high temp cheese available. It's not displayed for purchase, but just ask them for it. The one in Rosemount carries 4 different types and it's about $6/lb already cubed up. I've also heard you can use Kraft Crumbles, but I checked Walmart, Cub and Target and cant find it anywhere.

I'd give the one in Chanhassen a call first.

All Von Hanson's should have high temp cheese available. It's not displayed for purchase, but just ask them for it. The one in Rosemount carries 4 different types and it's about $6/lb already cubed up. I've also heard you can use Kraft Crumbles, but I checked Walmart, Cub and Target and cant find it anywhere.

I'd give the one in Chanhassen a call first.

Thanks - I'll check with them. Kraft stopped making Crumbles a few years ago. I also heard that it was an alternative so I tried to fine some (Cub, Walmart, Lunds, Target). I finally asked at my local Cub Foods but was told Kraft no longer makes them. Thanks for the guidance on Von Hansno's!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky