Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

I have done several batches of jerky (ground and whole muscle), and I want to try some snack sticks.

Are snack sticks done in a casing or just out of the tube end attachment of a jerky gun?

I guess I’m trying to understand if there is really any difference between a “snack stick” and ground meat jerky in a tube shape.

You can do both. Though I've only done them in 19 mm casings.

Wether you use casings or not, is it essentially the same? Both with ground meat, seasonings of choose, cure, and then smoke?

Do you use a stuffer, or what is your preferred method for using the casings?

Wether you use casings or not, is it essentially the same? Both with ground meat, seasonings of choose, cure, and then smoke?

Do you use a stuffer, or what is your preferred method for using the casings?

From what I've heard. The procedure and outcome is pretty much the same as you stated. Yes, I add cure. And usually stuff right away. Some recipes call for stuffing after the mix. Or wait until the next day. I use a stuffer with the right size tube. I believe Bearcarver Bearcarver has a recipe or two in regards to making SS and sticks without casings.

I've tried both ways and I personally like caseless better. Everyone has their favorite way of doing something so my best advice is to try both ways and see which you like best.

Share your journey with us!

I use 19mm casings......much easier than without. You can eat 'em right away, or let them age to lose some of the moisture and make them more "chewy".

Attachments

• meatsticks.jpg
    meatsticks.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 34
Made a batch of snack sticks the other day with the High Mountain seasoning kit. Have never tried this flavor before.
4# of very lean burger we got with our half beef a while ago, and used 1# pork fat for some moisture.
Ground up, proper seasoning measured out and stuffed.
20191103_101530.jpg

20191103_114536.jpg

Put in fridge overnight.
Fired up the MES to 130°. After warming to temp, put the sticks in with the Inkbird probes tied inside a few links.
20191104_082901.jpg

Let run for about an hour without smoke. Loaded up the tray 3/4 full with pecan dust and into the mailbox.
Bumped up temp to 140°, let go for 3 hrs while did some errands.
Bumped up to 160°, chugging along nicely.
20191104_125405.jpg

Pulled at 152° -158°
20191104_181230.jpg

Let bloom in fridge couple days.
Was not impressed with the flavor of this seasoning, wasn't bad. I prefer High Country for store bought, or Owens BBQ. I wish he sold for smaller batches instead of just #25.
Cut and bagged
20191106_151617.jpg

20191106_152533.jpg

I use collagen casings for snack sticks but end up peeling the casings off when I eat them. I just don't like the "chew" of the collagen. It peels easily after the sticks smoke and shrink a little.

Good looking product. Your cook, smoke and bloom cycle is similar to mine. I use my own proprietary seasoning as well as encapsulated citric acid for that "tang" taste.

Attachments

• meatsticks.jpg
    meatsticks.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 30
I've made no casing sticks....
https://statich.smokingmeatforums.com/e/e7/e788e796_BeefStickVerticleStuffer.jpg

This is where I found the ME30 to have temp problems and I spent the next year
modifying the thing to get even temps... Some burnt, overcooked.. etc...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky