Snack Stick ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For sticks, that's a lot of fat... I like to buy chuck steaks/roasts and grind my own meat.. seems to have a better flavor than store bought in a plastic tube... Manufacturers add "pink slime" to the ground meat... It has been OK'd by USDA..

I've used 80/20% but prefer 90/10% for sticks if I have not cut/trimmed my own to grind fresh. That being said, I think the Sam's Club 80/20 is better than the Kroger 80/20 and if I plan ahead will usually pick up 10 pounds or so of meat from Sam's.

I have bought the 73/27% just to see how it worked for other stuff, but there is a lot of fat that rendered out when I browned it. I think it was probably more like 60-65% instead of 73%, but that's just my take. The wife will buy it on markdown, but I'm not a fan of the 73/27% at all. To me you have to factor in the extra weight you are loosing as rendered fat and then compare the "meat" price apples to apples so in the end it's not a good buy (not withstanding how it actually performs). Like I said, I'm not a fan of it for any purpose.

Not for sticks. But it works well for SS

For sticks, that's a lot of fat... I like to buy chuck steaks/roasts and grind my own meat.. seems to have a better flavor than store bought in a plastic tube... Manufacturers add "pink slime" to the ground meat... It has been OK'd by USDA..

I've used 80/20% but prefer 90/10% for sticks if I have not cut/trimmed my own to grind fresh. That being said, I think the Sam's Club 80/20 is better than the Kroger 80/20 and if I plan ahead will usually pick up 10 pounds or so of meat from Sam's.

I have bought the 73/27% just to see how it worked for other stuff, but there is a lot of fat that rendered out when I browned it. I think it was probably more like 60-65% instead of 73%, but that's just my take. The wife will buy it on markdown, but I'm not a fan of the 73/27% at all. To me you have to factor in the extra weight you are loosing as rendered fat and then compare the "meat" price apples to apples so in the end it's not a good buy (not withstanding how it actually performs). Like I said, I'm not a fan of it for any purpose.

Thanks guys I bought the tube need something for a fishing trip,if time allows I will try to add more meat.If not I will post the results.
Richie

BTW... add cure #1 to the meat... It helps to retard the fat from souring, along with protection from botulism..... 1 level tsp. per 5#'s of meat or 1.1 grams per pound....

Also I use phosphates in my sticks as the binder. Either AmesPhos or Butcher & Packer #414. That will stiffen up the stick with more fat also. Like Dave O said, you could always grind in some extra lean to balance it out a little. And I always use cure #1 on my sticks.

Reactions: daveomak
I've done it , and it was to " greasy " for me . I don't have good luck with store ground beef , but it may be something I'm doing wrong . If I grind my own , I use chuck and I like the results .

Thanks guys as for the cure I always use it in my smoked sausages
Richie

To the Mod that moved my post Thank You
I wasn't sure were to post the question.
Richie

Yep, if stick are turning out too greasy, try a leaner cut. I usually get the 90/10 at Sam's Club if I'm not grinding my own.

I was at Sam's today to get a small brisket to run in the PB5 and they had 93/7% marked down. They guy was putting it out as I watched. He said they were overstocked and it just came in that morning, but they marked it down to less than the 80/20 to move some out. So I picked up 9 pounds. I see sticks in the PB5 in my future!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky