Snack Stick Smoking Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crpngdth2001

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Terra Alta, WV
I have a Meadow Creek BX25 smoker, and use KBB when smoking. I’m planning on a dedicated MES40 unit with PID when I find a used one, but have a question until then.

Can I cold smoke snack sticks and/or summer sausage with my Amazen Tube for several hours (3-4), then just sous-vide them to final temp provided I use appropriate cure? Any negative side effects to texture/casings? Any other considerations?

Thanks!

I've done it and really liked how it turned out. The texture was better than smoked IMO. On point with a Slim Jim. I am (GASP) contemplating skipping the smoke altogether and using smoke powder on some. Purist may cringe but 99% sure Slim Jims are done this way.

When you sous vide your snack sticks/summer sausage do you put them directly in the water or do you vac seal them first? Thanks

Reactions: crpngdth2001
I vac seal mine. I have not run sticks since I got my Auber PID but I can tell you that it had a profound affect on my last SS run. Normally it's a train wreck of sorts but went very smooth and best smoke flavor I ever got.

how difficult was it to wire in the PID on the MES? I have been thinking about adding one to mine, but am not wanting a big mess of wires and crap hanging outside the unit. Also how difficult are they to program? I am a big fan of simple, especially in the wee early morning hours when I am typically getting my smokers going from a half asleep condition.

For me it was simple but I know my way around wiring. LOTS of info by resident Auber expert tallbm tallbm . I bet he'll post a linker faster than I can locate it. Big fan of simple too and I went wifi and happy I did. Won't lie tho, takes some getting used to still. That said, total game changer.

^

Reactions: tallbm and zwiller
how difficult was it to wire in the PID on the MES? I have been thinking about adding one to mine, but am not wanting a big mess of wires and crap hanging outside the unit. Also how difficult are they to program? I am a big fan of simple, especially in the wee early morning hours when I am typically getting my smokers going from a half asleep condition.

The rewire is very simple for making an MES ready for a PID. It's simply cutting the ends off 4 wires and then connecting/wire nutting to make 2 whole wires.
At this point the plug from the MES feeds heat to the element bypassing all the electronics on the MES. It still also keeps the safety overheat switch in the mix without having to do anything.

I would not recommend wiring up your own PID unit to make your own whole controller. It's just not cost effective unless you bit the bullet to do it once before and already have tools, materials, and left over components. It also is not a trivial thing when it comes to fabrication on the box that holds the PID controller etc. I always recommend the Auber PID units and I think JC in GB JC in GB is now making PID units again.

For Auber units, the wifi ones with the app are easier to program and use because the app is more user friendly for this.
The steps to program the temp and time are not complicated but they are also not like setting it up on an Oven or something like that. Once you do it a few times its a hand full of button presses and you are set.

No matter what, a PID unit will make your smoker a completely awesome beast of a smoking unit compared to the stock MES unit. It is apples to oranges once you rewire and go PID :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky