Smokintex temperature fluctuation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well here it is straight from the horses mouth . The factory rep told me how to smoke sausage in the 1460. I was using the step method and drying the sausage in the smoker for the first hour, He said to pull the wood pan and pre heat the smoker to 130 while I let the sausage air dry outside the smoker. After 1 1/2 hours open the door and slide everything in, wood box with chunk of wood and the sausage and go from there. He said don't pay to much attention to the temp swings , Just watch the IT of the sausage and forget about buying an aftermarket PID controller. He said the sausage would turn out fine.I noted that when you go to the recipe section at their website there is no mention of sausage. He noted that If he wrote this up on the website he would be arguing with every sausage maker all day long. The unit is designed to have the temperature swings. So long story short I will continue to make my SS and Bologna and see how it works. I just wont be jumping up to attempt to lower the temp like I have been doing.
The temp swing is how they get the wood to smoke. Without them you would need a smoke generator or smoke tube. If you go the PID route you'll need the same.

The temp swing is how they get the wood to smoke. Without them you would need a smoke generator or smoke tube. If you go the PID route you'll need the same.
If the temp swings are around 25F and for example you set the smoker at 100F the upswing would only be around 125F. Is your info from Smokin Tex or your own use?

If the temp swings are around 25F and for example you set the smoker at 100F the upswing would only be around 125F. Is your info from Smokin Tex or your own use?
This is for electric smokers in general. Electric smokers that use the heating element to burn the chips need a swing to burn them. If not the element will not get hot enough for an amount of time to do this. This is why you need a smoke tube or smoke generator when converting to a PID controller.
If the temp swing is 25F then it would be anywhere around the 100F setpoint with the total difference of 25F between the lowest and hottest reading.

This is for electric smokers in general. Electric smokers that use the heating element to burn the chips need a swing to burn them. If not the element will not get hot enough for an amount of time to do this. This is why you need a smoke tube or smoke generator when converting to a PID controller.
If the temp swing is 25F then it would be anywhere around the 100F setpoint with the total difference of 25F between the lowest and hottest reading.
Not in all electric smokers. I get great smoke from my pan and I run a pid.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky