Smoking with Hops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 30, 2018
Grande Cache Alberta
15E88E32-D13B-4FD1-8C31-D3ED71BCC1A9.jpeg

Was at this Brew Pub and noticed on the menu their bacon is smoked using hops.Back in my home brewing days I used hops in pellet form so smoking with hops in pellet form would be easy. A couple of decades ago I planted some hop plants along a fence, now I have hop cones coming out the wazoo in the fall. Two questions. Has anyone smoked anything using hop pellets? Has anyone tried smoking hop cones? I’m thinking one would harvest the cones and freeze them green(not drying) and pack the cones tight into my Amazen oval tube.

Reactions: Jabiru
As a homebrewer myself, I'm definitely interested in the process here. I wonder if this is more gimmick than something that actually imparts flavor.

Another homebrewer here. I have not heard of that, but I'm intrigued. I would also suspect it's more of a marketing gimmick, but I won't dismiss it until I know better.

To me, it's probably not a thing, because the hop flavor comes from alpha acids. You would not get alpha acids out of the hop by burning it. Could be some other desirable flavor comes out, but I seriously doubt it's a hop one. At least for a full hop cone. A hop pellet I suppose I could see smoldering as it's already dehydrated. But again, the hop flavor we are used to is an alpha acid which would not go into vapor, only into a solution.

Now taking hops and then adding wood smoke? Sure, I can see that being great. Hops are a great way to add flavor to food though.

Interesting, Got me thinking, I’ve got some cascade hop pellets here I’ll throw some in a tube and try light them, see what happens. If they smoke ok I’ll try with some cheap Bacon And post results when I get a chance.

Interesting, Got me thinking, I’ve got some cascade hop pellets here I’ll throw some in a tube and try light them, see what happens. If they smoke ok I’ll try with some cheap Bacon And post results when I get a chance.
I was wondering what happened. I’m getting some fresh hops and wanted to try it on a pork butt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky