Smoking with a Ugly Drum Smoker-Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwoodul

Original poster
Jan 14, 2014
Looking for someone that has done a lot of smoking on a drum smoker. I have been smoking for many years on a off set, but still little new to the drum smokers. My question is really about the time and temp for cooking the brisket. My first 2 turned out really well at about 5-6hrs with a hour in the cooler. My last one didn't turn out as great. Little tuff. I think part of the problem was that I may have pulled it off early not closer 10 190. 

Any suggestiongs? I typically cook at 12-14lb brisket at 200-225 for 6hrs on the drum smokers. 

Usually go about 275 for most meats (not poultry though)   including brisket...seems to be a good average temp.    I like using a holy diffuser also because it helps even out temps.

That is very fast for a 12 pound brisket!  Have you checked the accuracy of your therms? You may be cooking at a much higher temp.Just sayin.

Mike

The temp maybe alittle warmer in the middle but not much. The one thing that I have seen researching is that the Drums typically cook faster than normal. Again my first 2 briskets were as good if not better than any brisket i have smoked for 10-12 hours on a traditional of set.

There's nothing wrong with cooking hotter and faster....especially for brisket. Sounds to me like you pulled it early. And nothing wrong with letting it rest for 2 hours or more either.

Yea Im about 100% sure i pulled it early. Was putting up 3 deer from the weekend before. I'm just curious on others experiences. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky