Smoking Whole Roasting Pig

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JMurr

Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
Hello all - First post here..

Read through this full "Pig Roast" forum but still looking for a bit more insight and tips into a whole roasting pig rather than multiple shoulders or whatever. I am doing my second roast this coming weekend, but the first time using an offset smoker rather than propane (last year). I have a fairly good understanding of the process needed, which is listed below, but still looking for any tips, tricks and feedback based on everyone's experience.

Pig Plan
My last go at this I didn't do any seasoning or pre-prep. The hog is coming dressed, but thinking I want to add a bit more spice and rub before throwing the ol girl on this time around. May just get something off the shelf from my local butcher, but if you have any recommendations I'm all ears.

Also - Ive read stuff on further opening the chest cavity and even cutting some slices in the hams to reduce cook time, evening out the cook so some things are super over cooked, but not sure how necessary that is.. With that, should i wrap the ears, feet and nose in foil??

Cooking Plan
I have a 60-70lb on order and a large offset bbq rig rented. The plan is to start a full package of bark charcoal in the side box and let it get red hot. Once that is rolling ill put on a piece of wood (I bought some Oak) to start the fire a bit, but still hold on throwing on the pig. Once that is mostly burnt and the coals subdue (thinking 45 min) I'll throw on a another log or two and try to hold the heat around 250 in the middle of the grill (understanding fire side thermo could be 275F and far side around 225F). From here, just checking in every 15-20 min to check heat, smoke and airflow.. If the rule is about 1hr per pound at 250, thinking I can start actually cooking the pig at 6am and be in a pretty good place around 1pm.

That's about it. Don't want to overthink it so trying to keep things simple. Thanks for any and all feedback!

JMurr,
I did a smaller pig on my Lang for the forth of July. Your plan looks solid just some advise...(if not already) split the carcass from the ribs to the chin to flatten the pig out. I would suggest viewing "How to BBQ right" suckling pig episode...good info. "Checking every 15-20 minutes" ok to check the fire but don't open the smoker that often...if you are lookin you ain't cookin. Good luck, don't stress, document with pictures and post them for us to see!
Teddy

I wouldn't buy a premade rub. It gets pretty expensive. Make your own and hammer that hog with the rub!

Def have it properly butterflied so it can lay as flat as possible.

Start with the meat side down for a couple/ few hours. This will help to flatten it further and put a nice color on your meat. Keep a monitor on both sides of your cc and if your temps vary a great deal from one side to the other you're gonna have to rotate piggy.

Which leads to another point. Have a plan in place to flip/rotate Mr pig. With one that small it may not be as big of a deal, but still, a plan is good.

You can foil whatever you like, but that's really for presentation. It's all gonna end up as pulled pork in the end.

Reactions: JMurr
I would inject the pig with a simple brine to add more flavor and keep it moist.
Are you smoking it butterflied or racer?
If butterflied you might want to pack the loin area with sausage or pork butt to kept the loin from drying out and over cooking.

Last...make sure ALL your temp gauges are accurate.
And make sure you are keeping a clean burning fire.

Use plenty of your favorite seasoning and the use a vinegar based "finishing sauce" Search the site for several choices.

Ok, all of this is sounding awesome. Few follow up questions..

For the splitting and seasoning of the pig. Is this something that is best done 12+ hours in advance (like some other dry rubs) or does that timing not really matter?

IF temps are starting to vary a bunch side to side, and for whatever reason rotating isn't an option (which won't likely be the case but just asking anyways), would it be best to have butt on the hot side?

Finally - Last year I cooked Mr. Pig on top of a few sheets of foil (recommended by place i got the smoker from). Not sure if that was more for cooking the pig or cleaning afterwards, but seems like I shouldn't do that this time. Would you guys agree?

JMurr,
Bare minimum I would allow a few hours in advance for the seasoning.
The butt end is very forgiving...but keep an eye on it if it is on the hot side.
The foil underneath may hamper your smoking efforts. They may have been using it for clean-up efforts. Good luck...keep us posted! Remember.. no pictures it didn't happen.
Teddy

JMurr, it's been a while since I've done a whole pig, but yeah, inject heavily with something, and don't forget to mop occasionally. I think I used a mixture of apple vinegar and apple juice. It came out fantastically juicy. Also, and I have no idea why this is, as it can take up to 12 hours to smoke an 8 lb. pork butt. But our 35 lb. pig was done in about 8 hours, using a concrete brick offset design. Do foil the ears, nose, and maybe the whole face. (The eyes on ours kind of exploded and freaked out some of the younger kids. So be conscience of that.) I second having some vinegar finishing sauce, too. There are some pretty good recipes on here.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky