Smoking Sausage for the first time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqchris52

Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Hey guys, I just cut up a pork shoulder and will be grinding it up tomorrow and putting it in casings. I did not think smoking sausage was that difficult until I read some other threads on here. I believe the pack I mixed with the cut up meat has a cure but I am not sure. What will happen if it does not? I basically just want to knowhow long I should smoke it and at what temp, do I need a cure in the meat, and what happens if I do not use one. Please let me know if there is anything else I need to know so that I don't kill anyone with bad sausage! Thanks!!!

BBQC52, Yes you need cure to smoke your sausage. If the temp remains in the danger zone for too long botulism spores will reproduce. this will make you ill or even worse it will kill you! I believe if the  the meat temp is between 40- 140 for four hours is the rule. Read you package again for ingredients and see if cure #1 is present. If you are not sure just make it fresh sausage and freeze after stuffing and cook it in the fry pan /grill.

so as long as I have cure #1 in the sausage it is safe to smoke? If cure #1 is in it do I still need to follow the 40-140 in 4 hour rule?

so as long as I have cure #1 in the sausage it is safe to smoke? If cure #1 is in it do I still need to follow the 40-140 in 4 hour rule?
If you have cure #1 in it you will be fine smoking it. 40 to 140 does not apply to cured meats

Richie

If you have ANY doubts at all about whether there's cure involved, don't take chances. Consider it "fresh" and seal and freeze. It'll cook up just fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky