( smoking Pork shoulder and a Brisket ) help needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes what you said made a lot of sense.
I would consider ramping up my smoker to a higher temperature for future smoke sessions but it will require more tweaking perhaps a different burner or regulator, I can get to 225-250 and have a reasonably nice blue flame with some orange tips to the flame and no black soot on my cast iron pan for the wood chunks with the current setup, going higher temperatures the flame wraps around the cast iron pan, the flame is still blue but I will get some yellow tips and it will leave a little black soot on the pan. at higher temperatures I think it is starving for air a little.

Sounds like you get to do some tweaking if you want to smoke hotter. There is nothing wrong with 250F but it is nice to be able to go higher.
If you can go to 325F that would be awesome because you can then defeat the "rubbery chicken skin" issues when smoking chicken/turkey.
Poultry skin likes to be smoked/cooked at like 315F+ and when under 300F often comes out with a rubbery texture. At least at 325F you will end up with edible poultry skin and often crispy skin.

So working with your setup to produce higher heats up to 325F will REALLY give your smoker setup the upper range to easily tackle and perfect those hotter smokes/cooks.
The only thing you will be missing at that point is being able to effectively mange smoker temps from 100F to 180F to do bacon, sausage, and jerky :D

Sounds like you get to do some tweaking if you want to smoke hotter. There is nothing wrong with 250F but it is nice to be able to go higher.
If you can go to 325F that would be awesome because you can then defeat the "rubbery chicken skin" issues when smoking chicken/turkey.
Poultry skin likes to be smoked/cooked at like 315F+ and when under 300F often comes out with a rubbery texture. At least at 325F you will end up with edible poultry skin and often crispy skin.

So working with your setup to produce higher heats up to 325F will REALLY give your smoker setup the upper range to easily tackle and perfect those hotter smokes/cooks.
The only thing you will be missing at that point is being able to effectively mange smoker temps from 100F to 180F to do bacon, sausage, and jerky :D
Yeah when I did a second seasoning with the current propane conversion I was able to get it to 380 degrees for 2 hours and I only noticed a little of the black soot on the cast iron pan. ( but black soot is black soot ) I am not sure just how high I can go without any black soot but from what I read any yellow flames even on the tips is a result of too rich of a mixture. Low temperatures is no problem I can run the burner flames to where they are less than a 1/4 inch tall and have no flame out even on a windy rainy day.
I was looking at a burner the other day that could give me three zones of flames each zone can be turned on one by one to run all three or any one of the three zones. For now I want to get our moneys worth our of our current setup so I will stick to recipes that can get done in 6 hours or less

. and if ya want want juicy bark do it this way. I found best for me is thaw in fridge n then salt little first then put rub on thick n no wrap for one to two days in fridge n smoke 'er. or if ya want shiney bark use a rotisserie on grill or modded smoker. n chunks on the burner for smoke. takes 7 hrs.

Last edited:
I finally got done with this smoke session, The Pork Shoulder came out great the meat mass broke in half while taking it out of the foil and the bone just slid out. The pork was delicious and perfectly seasoned and had nice smoke penetration ring . I ended up pulling the pork at 197 and only let it rest for 1/2 hour wrapped in a towel in a cooler. ( I did not see a need for a longer rest time especially since I wanted to go to sleep sometime soon )
The sad part is the brisket while is was super tender ( probe tender ) and looked great it is just flat out too salty. The recipe my wife used called for the rub and injecting it with beef broth which left it too salty for our taste. while it is delicious neither of us will be able to handle that much salt flavor (and I salt everything). I am hoping BBQ sauce will tame down the salt flavor if not I may have to cut the bark off of it to make it something we can eat. We will be searching for a different recipe the next time we do a brisket. I will post pictures in the morning

Yes what you said made a lot of sense.
I would consider ramping up my smoker to a higher temperature for future smoke sessions but it will require more tweaking perhaps a different burner or regulator, I can get to 225-250 and have a reasonably nice blue flame with some orange tips to the flame and no black soot on my cast iron pan for the wood chunks with the current setup, going higher temperatures the flame wraps around the cast iron pan, the flame is still blue but I will get some yellow tips and it will leave a little black soot on the pan. at higher temperatures I think it is starving for air a little.

I'm curious about your propane mod, do you have any pics of the burner in the firebox?

I converted a WSM18 to a 15000btu propane burner a while back. I've done smokes at 225, 250, and 275+. It's hit 325 when I run it wide open to warm it up.

PYp3Fzb.jpg

dvrbxT9.jpg

As you can see on the bottom of my cast iron pan I have a small amount of black soot, I am not sure if that happened when I was dialing in the flame to get ready for yesterdays smoke session. The session before that I had a little more soot but with the wind and rain I had that day it took a little more time to dial in the temperature. I am positive I can go to much higher temperatures but i think my burner may be too close to the cast iron pan. because when I turn it up with nothing on top of it the flame sounds like a jet engine with nice blue flames and slight orange tips but when my pan is in place the flame will wrap around the pan and I see some yellowing in the flame which tells me there will be black soot.
My next change will be using a larger square cast iron pan and raising it up away from the burner 6 to 8 inches. but I will suspend it with mechanics wire or small chains rather than support it with one of the cooking grids. if that does not work I will look into getting a better burner this one was just a cheap one I bought off of Amazon.

I finally got done with this smoke session, The Pork Shoulder came out great the meat mass broke in half while taking it out of the foil and the bone just slid out. The pork was delicious and perfectly seasoned and had nice smoke penetration ring . I ended up pulling the pork at 197 and only let it rest for 1/2 hour wrapped in a towel in a cooler. ( I did not see a need for a longer rest time especially since I wanted to go to sleep sometime soon )
The sad part is the brisket while is was super tender ( probe tender ) and looked great it is just flat out too salty. The recipe my wife used called for the rub and injecting it with beef broth which left it too salty for our taste. while it is delicious neither of us will be able to handle that much salt flavor (and I salt everything). I am hoping BBQ sauce will tame down the salt flavor if not I may have to cut the bark off of it to make it something we can eat. We will be searching for a different recipe the next time we do a brisket. I will post pictures in the morning

Well it wasn't a smooth ride but you had some success and learned a lot!
Briskets and especially brisket flats can be over salted a lot more easily than people think.
You can simply do a Salt, Pepper, Garlic (granulated or powder), Onion (dehydrated, minced, granulated, or powder) for a great brisket rub. No need to inject. A lot of people just go plain Salt and Pepper for briskets but I like the onion and garlic flavor, it is out of this world!
Pork ribs are SUPER EASY to over salt as well so be sure to keep that in mind when seasoning them.

An easy way to avoid over salting a cut of meat is to:
1. Shake on each seasoning SEPARATELY so you can control the amount of salt
2. DO NOT use salt PLUS any seasonings, injections, or mixes that already have salt in them (garlic salt, onion salt, a rub mixture that has salt plus salt and other seasonings). A simple rule of thumb is that if a mix/rub already has salt then do NOT add anything else that has salt in it. Let the mix/rub act as your salt component.

I'm pretty sure you can save the brisket. You might have to carve off some of the bark that has the salt but an easy way to save brisket is to throw it into a crock pot with some BBQ sauce and if it is salty add a little water. This will give you shredded/chopped BBQ brisket (chopped bbq brisket with bbq sauce mixed in is actually my favorite way to eat it).
The nice thing about doing this is that you can use water to dilute the salt and as long as you don't turn the thing into a soup you will have anything from lightly sauced BBQ brisket to heavily sauced BBQ brisket that you can even out to make great sandwiches or put on a backed potato, or put in a tortilla with pico de gallo and squeezed lime wedge juice for brisket tacos! Lots of options with brisket :)

I hope this info helps :)

Ok so here is what you do figure out the smoke profile you like. Rub the meat put it on the fridge for 24 hours take it out and let get close to room temperature I keep my house @ 68f put it on the smoker at 235 until you hit 200 meat temp put it in butcher paper with a towel wrapped around and let it rest for 45 min or so. Don't over think things. It's meat wood and fire. Play around to find what you like.

I had a hell of a time getting duck to come out correctly. Had to throw 3 away before I figured it out. Each duck cost me around $1.75 as I have been using bismuth. Experimenting is fun

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky