Smoking Now - First Smoked Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redt3x

Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
Good evening.  I just joined this site while I was researching how to smoke a chicken.  I'm from the Dallas, TX area and have an MES 30 I received last year from my awesome wife.  I haven't smoked much so far - only ribs - but am trying my first chicken.  It's been on for about an hour and a half so far.  I tried the spatchcocked method but probably more butchered it since it was my first time but I'm sure the bird will turn out ok - just won't win any championships.  Looking forward to learning from the folks on this site and smoking more this year.  Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and advice.

Welcome to the forum Redt3x. Chx is a great first smoke. Look forward to seeing some Qview. I bet the chx will be delicious. This site is as addictive as the act of smoking meat itself, so I am sure you will be posting frequently. You certainly will find lots of great information and great people here. Happy smoking.

Thanks for the welcome Chuckles.  It turned out well for the first attempt... couldn't take a pic fast enough before the vultures swept in.  Smoked faster than expected.  Brined for about 4 hours with 1/2 gallon water, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup salt (ionized, didn't have enough sea salt but after the fact forgot I had some pink Himalayan sea salt I could have added).  Rubbed with EVOO, paprika and lemon pepper.  Smoked at 250 in the MES for about 2 1/2 hours and it came out perfect on the quick read thermometer.  Also had some red potatoes I smoked with it - with just a little EVOO, salt and pepper.  Potatoes were a first time smoke as well.  Looking forward to more smoking.

[h3]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h3][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky