• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ONLYINTHENORTH

Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Hoping some of you out there might be able to help me in coming up with a good way to smoke in an oven with wood chips. Generally smoking in an oven you could just create a tent but im dealing with smoking 40lbs of ribs or salmon at a time in a commercial oven using 3 or 4 racks. Currently i am boiling my ribs, letting them sit in a rub for at least overnight then place them on 3 or 4 racks in an oven on top. (salmon is marinated and placed on racks raw skin on) I have a large can with holes i place dry wood chips in and set over an open flame on my stove until chips start to smoke then place on the bottom in the oven to smoke. Oven is set to 250F or so and convection fan is set to high to keep chips smoldering then turn to low if burning to fast. This method does not work very well. Usually the chips burn way to fast, also they produce a lot of white smoke. And from what i gathered thats not good and is probably causing different tastes then it should. I'm seeking to see if anyone might have an idea on a better setup method for smoking with my commercial oven. Hopefully in the future i will be investing in an outdoor smoker but for now this is what i have. Any insights or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

The AMNPS smoke generator works awesome.... Light it... It smolders... Different flavor woods available...

4 001.JPG

Boiling ribs is kind of a sin around here....But Welcome!!

Yes I would agree, they come out very tender but I feel boiling them probably reduces the meat from allowing all that flavor in from smoking? Open to a new method that would work in the oven...maybe rubbed and smoked raw for a longer period? Any input is appreciated thanks!

Welcome to the site. Smoking in an indoor oven seems a little dangerous to me. Not to mention the smoke smell getting on everything. My SIL boils her ribs before grilling, and they never taste quite right.

Chris

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky