Smoking Loin without a smoker>>>>>

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the smoke break

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Mississippi
Well, this weekend I was getting ready for a good relaxing Sunday of watching football when my wife decided to inform me that I was supposed to smoke a couple pork loins. Not that I ever need an excuse to smoke some good meat...but in this case, it was problematic. See, if you've watched my post on my 250 gallon build...that tank isn't finished yet. To make things worse, my patio smoker that I use at home was loaned to a friend of mine so he could have it for a family event...so there I was without a smoker with a family expecting smoked meat.

Should I panic....NO. I have a kingsford grill that I LOVE, because the fire grate can be lowered and raised as needed, and there's plenty of room. SO, i simply used the indirect heat method of smoking, where I put my fire on one side of the grill, and my meat on the other. The grill has four intakes, pie type, so I opened the bottom one on the fire side, and opened the top one on the meat side, and closed the other two, causing the smoke to have to come out after passing over the meat. For fire, I used Stubbs, which I happen to like a lot, and I also used some cherry chunks. All in all, I smoked two pork loins, some pepper/bacon wraps, some stuffed scallops (already cooked for most part, just added a little smoke and heat to finish.), and some chicken breast. 

I guess my point is...I've seen a few posts from newcomers stating that they can't wait to get a smoker so they can try their hand at smoking. For those....you don't have to wait. Sure, this isn't the best and most ideal way to smoke some meat, but it smokes quite well when done right. SO, don't wait on a smoker....try this rustic method and get to smoking. 

I got some before and after pics of the loins, but for some reason the ones I took while cooking didn't come out well. Sorry.

Loins rubbed and ready to smoke.

Another shot of the loins ready....Also got a little beef jerky going in the dehydrator.

The loins fresh off the grill and sliced. (Jalepeno wraps in right corner).

I agree with you about using the grill. I smoked some hams on a Weber this summer and it worked great. I've had a Weber Kettle grill for years and cooked with indirect heat but did not know how well they would heat and hold heat using the serpentine method. Had blocks of oak every couple of inches and had blue smoke all afternoon.

Grills can make smoked meat too.  Living proof!

Actually, it was with constantly lower temps with indirect grilling that I caught the smoking bug.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky