Smoking in colder weather

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
Hey all- Although I've been smoking for a few years now, I've usually shut it down in the colder months. I haven't had much of a chance to really get into the yard for a while so I'm shooting to do so this weekend. It'll be about 40ish F for my smoke. I'm looking for any advice for smoking in these and lower temps. Going to attempt a brisket flat and either a chicken or ribs.

I plan on using my charcoal bullet smoker (my imposter of the wsm). I can usually get it locked in around 230-250 with 10 lit briquettes (KBB using minion method) and the water pan. But that's in the warmer weather. I plan to a) forego the water pan and instead wrap a pizza stone in foil and b) up the number of lit briquettes used for the minion method. I was thinking maybe half a chimney for these cooler temps. Too much/too little? I don't have any kind of insulating blankets so that's out.

Thanks for any advice!

I don't think 40 is to bad, especially if you can stay out of the wind if there is any, as far charcoal amounts I can't be much help never used your type of set up, so grab a case a beer. a bottle of mr. daniels and enjoy yourself, if worse comes to worse you could always finish in the oven.

You could insulate with a welding blanket, maybe some fire brick. I use kamado type smokers now because I can bbq year round.

You shouldn't have any problems doing the smoke,try keeping it out of the wind.
Richie

How did it go?

I'll smoke ribs and other quick items in the Weber down to about 0°(F).
A double row snake is usually more than enough coal.
I haven't tried a brisket in the Weber and the Brinkmann doesn't get used as a smoker below 50°
Straight grilling I'll use either Weber or Brinkmann as cold as my old bones can withstand standing outside.

Temps have been a balmy 30's for a couple days with same for tomorrow.
I'm planning to smoke a cured pork loin tomorrow.

Hey all- Although I've been smoking for a few years now, I've usually shut it down in the colder months. I haven't had much of a chance to really get into the yard for a while so I'm shooting to do so this weekend. It'll be about 40ish F for my smoke. I'm looking for any advice for smoking in these and lower temps. Going to attempt a brisket flat and either a chicken or ribs.

I plan on using my charcoal bullet smoker (my imposter of the wsm). I can usually get it locked in around 230-250 with 10 lit briquettes (KBB using minion method) and the water pan. But that's in the warmer weather. I plan to a) forego the water pan and instead wrap a pizza stone in foil and b) up the number of lit briquettes used for the minion method. I was thinking maybe half a chimney for these cooler temps. Too much/too little? I don't have any kind of insulating blankets so that's out.

Thanks for any advice!
Hi,
I smoked a 12 LB. brisket and two racks of short ribs in my WSM 22 yesterday. The ambient temp was about 50. I loaded a 15LB. bag of Kingsford original into the WSM, filled the water pan with boiling water, and topped it off with 20 lit briquettes. I maintained 245 for about 6 hours, After that I had to add more unlit coals to maintain temp. At nine hours my brisket was at 180. I lost patience chasing the Weber with coals so I finished it in the oven at 325 for about an hour and a half to bring it up to 195.
I was surprised the coal didn't last longer, but this is the first time I smoked at this cool a temp.
Good luck! Let me know how you make out.

Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky