Smoking in an indoor convection oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jtydings

Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
I am moving soon to a NYC apartment and will no longer have my Pitts and Spitts smoker. Can I simulate the smoking experieince with an indoor convection oven by using a smoking box for chips or chunks? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Probably.
But you'll also simulate experience of POd neighbors and smoke detectors.

Get a bong so you can hide what you really up to.

But seriously; you may need to downsize and recalibrate your smoking hobby . Id look into one of these. Do nuts, cheese, maybe even small amounts of lox.

Good luck on the move!

Reactions: crazzycajun
There are a very few pressure cookers (they seem to come and go, probably because they violate the Uniform Building Code) that come and go on Amazon etc that include a separate heating pot for pellets or chips that some folks seem to get good results from. Of course some smoke still escapes from the jiggler (or whatever convoluted substitute is used on the new Chinese pressure cookers) so you'll want to have a very good stovetop exhaust fan before giving this a try. (Or wait until summer and do it with Kitchen windows open and doors closed.)

maybe there is a park or somewhere outdoors you could smoke some meat on your days off and freeze although you'll still need a smoker you'll need to lug around. that might get old quick.

How about the roof ???
Great suggestion but not an option. I'm going to try a smoker box with wood chips this weekend as an experiment. I don't know if I'll get nothing or set off every alarm in my house.

I am moving soon to a NYC apartment and will no longer have my Pitts and Spitts smoker. Can I simulate the smoking experieince with an indoor convection oven by using a smoking box for chips or chunks? Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Maybe I'm reading wrong but you are planning on using wood chips inside your apt oven?

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I used to have the Rival smoker roaster. Dont know if they still make them

Maybe I'm reading wrong but you are planning on using wood chips inside your apt oven?
That is my proposal. Wood chips in a smoker box in a convection oven with a POWERFUL exhaust fan. Is this the fine line between clever and stupid?

That is my proposal. Wood chips in a smoker box in a convection oven with a POWERFUL exhaust fan. Is this the fine line between clever and stupid?
Does the landlord own the oven? If so he'd likely kick you out for using his appliances like that. If you own it I still don't like the idea. The exhaust fan likely isn't vented to the outside since it's in an apartment so essentially you'll just be sucking smoke but keeping it inside your apt. I'd almost guarantee a neighbor calling the fire department because they will definitely smell it in such tight quarters. Not to mention your oven will probably smell like a smokehouse forever. I could list more things wrong with your plan but hopefully you get the point. Hope you'll research a better/safer alternative

Its not just a matter of exhausting the smoke.
What about the smoke that'll settle on the oven walls? Anything you put in there henceforth will get flavored.
Thats why my smoker doesn't double as a bread proofing oven.
Also, the creosote will burn off the walls anytime you use the oven for actual baking.

I also don't recommend anything approaching conventional smoking in a kitchen oven, indoors, esp if you're "new to the neighborhood".
Is there not a shared patio area? Maybe a balcony off your unit? MES electric smokers can give good smoked taste without a huge billowing smoke cloud. And it's winter so most folks will have their windows closed.

Addendum: I'm not sure where you're from now, but NYC can be a LOT different than where a lot of folks here hail from. You might want to acclimate a bit to your new home before making any major "individual statements".

I don't remember the brand name or maker(or if it's even still made) but there is a stove top smoker. It is essentially a hotel/steam table pan with a rack inside and a slide on lid. It uses chips or saw dust. Can't verify quality of results but may be an option to look into

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky