SMOKING HOT DOGS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Slow42

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
Atlantic Ocean Side of the world
Anyone have advice on the length of time I should smoke my hot dogs and what temperature? I don’t like extreme amounts of smoke in anything. And at what temperature I should remove them based on starting temperature or is only smoke time important if finishing in water. I want to bring them up to final temperature in a water bath.

I do a gentle smoke for 1.5 hours with a smoker temp of 160°, then check the color and internal temp. The internal temp is around 100° when they get the color I'm after. Now, if it's winter, I still smoke around 1.5 hours, but usually transfer to a 180° oven and let the internal come up to 158° - 160°, then go into an ice bath (bus tub), then bloom them for at least 2 hours.

Since you will do a hot water bath finish, you can go into that once you like the color. I use a Nesco 18 quart roaster for poaching and it doesn't take long.

nFQuSNC.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB and Slow42
Sounds like we all do it pretty much the same way. The first time I made hot dogs I left them in the smoker until they were done. What a mistake that was! Now just a couple of hours in the smoke then finish in a water bath, then ice them down. My finish temp is 152.
Al

Reactions: Slow42
Thanks for all the advice kinda did a combination of all the above. I put in smoker with tray of hickory pellets and smoked for about 3 hours. The pellet tray, with no heat on in the smoker, rose the interior temperature to 89 degrees. After the water bath at 170 degrees and finished at about 155-160 degrees, then ice water bath. In refrigerator overnight and will vacuum seal the next day.

Used sheep casing for the first time and what an experience. There were 19-22mm much to small for my liking. I though they would expand larger, not a chance. After several attempts to fill the casing I found the proper rhythm where they wouldn’t bust open. They split oh so easy when you attempt to fill to much. Funny they have a lot of strength when you stretch them. Not sure what I’ll use next time around, which will be shortly as these were an experiment in taste. All beef, 1/2 beef 1/2 pork, all pork and one other recipe that was all beef, New York strip steak.

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks for all the advice kinda did a combination of all the above. I put in smoker with tray of hickory pellets and smoked for about 3 hours. The pellet tray, with no heat on in the smoker, rose the interior temperature to 89 degrees. After the water bath at 170 degrees and finished at about 155-160 degrees, then ice water bath. In refrigerator overnight and will vacuum seal the next day.

Used sheep casing for the first time and what an experience. There were 19-22mm much to small for my liking. I though they would expand larger, not a chance. After several attempts to fill the casing I found the proper rhythm where they wouldn’t bust open. They split oh so easy when you attempt to fill to much. Funny they have a lot of strength when you stretch them. Not sure what I’ll use next time around, which will be shortly as these were an experiment in taste. All beef, 1/2 beef 1/2 pork, all pork and one other recipe that was all beef, New York strip steak.

About the smallest sheep casings I've used are 24/26mm , but the store I buy from goes up to 28mm. I have found out the hard way that since sheep casings are more delicate it's best to buy from a good supplier. I helped a guy make hot dogs and some kind of lamb sausage that was in coils, he bought sheep casings from a sporting store and they were the worst quality casings I have ever used, the sizing was inconsistent and we had a lot of splits. I now buy from Syracuse Casing, but there are several other dealers that have top quality casings.

Reactions: Slow42
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky