Smoking Deer Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trb0523

Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Bham, AL
New to forum. Got a smokin tex 1400 for Christmas! Anxious to start using it. We eat a lot of venison and would like to smoke a hind quarter. Any recommendations on how long to smoke and what should the internal meat temps be for vension, compared to beef and pork? Many thanks for any suggestions!

I just pulled one out of my masterbuilt xl. I smacked it for almost 16 hrs at 225-250. I had good success however I would crank the temp closer to 250-275 on the next one I cook. It got to temp but barely.

thanks for replying. we plan to try it this weekend. its a small hind quarter. I will post how it goes.

New to forum. Got a smokin tex 1400 for Christmas! Anxious to start using it. We eat a lot of venison and would like to smoke a hind quarter. Any recommendations on how long to smoke and what should the internal meat temps be for vension, compared to beef and pork? Many thanks for any suggestions!
Tender cuts of meat come from muscles that were not heavily utilized during the animal's life and, therefore, contain little connective tissue. These areas include the back and some leg muscles, when properly trimmed. Tender cuts of venison should be prepared using quick cooking methods to a rare or medium-rare level of doneness (internal temperature of 130° to 140° F). If it is prepared past medium-rare too much moisture will be cooked out causing the meat to become dry and tough.

Working cuts of meat come from muscles that were vigorously used by the animal and, therefore, contain a lot of connective tissue. These cuts also contain more flavor than tender cuts. Areas for working muscles include the shoulder and leg muscles. Working cuts of venison must be cooked for a relatively long time at a low temperature (220-280° F) to allow the connective tissue to breakdown. Once this happens you will get a fork-tender, flavor packed piece of meat.

I hope this helps,  John

The first try went pretty good. I followed a chart found on the internet for venison and set the smoker at 225 deg. Internal temp we wanted to reach was 160 based on the chart. We started it 9:40 p.m. and took it out at 9:10 a.m. the next morning. The outside got a little dark and tough in some places. The inside was delicious. There was a small section near the bottom that was still not quite done. Otherwise we were pleased but think we should drop the temp to around 200 next time and maybe leave in a little longer.

I purchase the Maverick ET-7 temperature probe which came with two probes and remote transmitter.Followed Set up directions and 2 hours after we started the smoker the alarm went off stating the temp was at 160 already! I was surprised. I stopped the alarm and watched it for a couple of hours. It continued to alarm (in/out). I didn't think the temp would have gotten that high in 2 hours. We ended up turning off the maverick around 3:00 a.m. and left one probe in to monitor the meat. I'm not sure the Maverick is working properly. A little concerned as I read some blogs about this model with their probes. I plan to call Maverick some time this week. Regardless, ready to try something else this weekend. *A before and after picture shown below. I used two different rubs as I wasn't sure what would taste the best. One side was a greek rub and the other was a memphis bbq rub. We liked both of them!

The first try went pretty good. I followed a chart found on the internet for venison and set the smoker at 225 deg. Internal temp we wanted to reach was 160 based on the chart. We started it 9:40 p.m. and took it out at 9:10 a.m. the next morning. The outside got a little dark and tough in some places. The inside was delicious. There was a small section near the bottom that was still not quite done. Otherwise we were pleased but think we should drop the temp to around 200 next time and maybe leave in a little longer.

I purchase the Maverick ET-7 temperature probe which came with two probes and remote transmitter.Followed Set up directions and 2 hours after we started the smoker the alarm went off stating the temp was at 160 already! I was surprised. I stopped the alarm and watched it for a couple of hours. It continued to alarm (in/out). I didn't think the temp would have gotten that high in 2 hours. We ended up turning off the maverick around 3:00 a.m. and left one probe in to monitor the meat. I'm not sure the Maverick is working properly. A little concerned as I read some blogs about this model with their probes. I plan to call Maverick some time this week. Regardless, ready to try something else this weekend. *A before and after picture shown below. I used two different rubs as I wasn't sure what would taste the best. One side was a greek rub and the other was a memphis bbq rub. We liked both of them!

Great first attempt...Your suspicion that the Maverick is not working correctly is a good one.  Give Maverick a call.

Take care,  John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky