smoking chicken breast today!!! with q-view!

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by redline57, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Ok, im working on my chicken for an upcoming bbq competition. I had a package of boneless skinless breast in the fridge so they are getting smoked. Ive got them in the brine now. The Brine is salt, brown sugar, red pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper, and lemon pepper! The brine tasted pretty dang good before the chicken webt in! Heres a pic of the chicken and brine.

PS! Ive passed a milestone in my cooking!!! I boiled my first egg (for potato salad. I dont like eggs!)

!

2. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Good luck and keep us posted. Chicken can be a tough test in a competition as I've seen many on Pit Masters attest to. Especially the breast, doubly especially if boneless/skinless...lol. Carry on...enjoy the smoke....Willie

3. rob sicc

rob sicc Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

keep the pictures coming.

Good luck in your competition!

4. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yes, I'm in on this one also , may I offer a suggestion to help keep the meat moist [​IMG]  

Wrap that CB in Bacon ; not only will it stay moister , Bacon just makes everything better [​IMG]

Have fun , [​IMG]  , we'll be waiting for the finish . . .

5. Yup! Bacon does make everything better. I know breast is hard to do but thats all I had thawed out. Ive got about a month to get ready for the comp and ill be doing a lot of thighs and a coupke whole birds between now and then. More pics coming soon!

6. Wrapped, rubbed, and ready!!

7. On the grill!!! Im using Kingsford and s I me mesquite chunks! Im going to try to keep the temp low to try not to dry them out.

8. rob sicc

did you offset the coals to one side to help keep the temp down on the CB's?  BTW, they look amazing.

9. Heres one of the side dishes! I it dont matted where your from in the south, if you can make good potato salad, you will find love

10. I would tend to do them on low indirect heat.  But you will get excellent grill marks.

11. Yea, I offset them but when I poured thwe chimney with the lit ones in, they kinda spilled a little.

12. Would you let chicken rest?

13. Getting close!!!

14. Oh man!!!! So good!!!! The brine and bacon made all the difference in the world!!! I think they are perfect. They are not dry (personally I like dry). They are not extremely juicy but diffinately not dry.

15. The bacon is probably the best tasting bacon I've ever had, and that's saying a lot!

16. reinhard

reinhard Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That bacon does wonders to a lot of our favorite meals.  You did well sir!!!  Good luck in the competition.  Reinhard

17. Looks great!   A trick I use to make chicken more flavorful is mixing my rub with softened butter and putting it under the skin......it flavors the meat (not just the skin) and keeps the breast meat moist!!!

Scott

18. hey Kia! I'll try that!

19. Birds loo GREAT!!! Love smoking CB. I usually buy split chicken breast and debone them, that way I have the skin on them to keep them moist. It takes a little time but it's worth it.

20. rob sicc

Did You a specific kind of bacon?
    If so can You Tell me what bacon You used?