Smoking chicken and babybacks at the same time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddemerath

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
Janesville, WI
Sunday I will be smoking some babybacks using Jeff's rub and feeding my dad and sister's family (they get to be the taste testers!). Unfortunately, her daughter is not fond of ribs so a chicken will be done at the same time. The chicken part should be easy as my wife says I have perfected the art of turkey smoking. That has now become he favorite meat. So I will brine the chicken and rub the ribs and throw them on together. I am leaning towards the 3-2-1 method for the ribs. Will I have any problems doing these together? My smoker (propane GOSM) has 3 racks. What rack do I put the chicken (6 lbs) and the ribs on?

Thanks for the help,
Dick D.

i dont know your particular smoker first hand but i use a propane one as well and would probably put the chicken as close to the heat source as possible..

good luck with the smoke

Yes, as Bud said, the chicken goes below the ribs. A little pork fat baste of the chicken will not hurt. You never want to get poultry dripping on anything because of the slight possibility that there may be some bacterial contamination of the poultry.

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

if you use a disposable aluminum pan, you dont have to worry about chicken drips if you do want to put it on top...

as for poultry drips in general, i believe i read that any germs or what not can not live above a certain temperature... now i have to research this..lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky