smoking cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A smoke tube works great. The last ones that I did, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Sharp Cheddar, and Pepper Jack, all came out great. Do it on a cool day and put a pan filled with ice, on a rack above the cheese. Smoke for about 1-2 hours. Wrap them in parchment paper and refrigerate for 24 - 48 hours. Vacuum seal or wrap tightly in plastic wrap, place in a zipper bag and write the date 2 weeks from when you smoked them on the zipper bag. The cheese needs time to mellow.

Welcome from Tennessee. Could you be more specific? Are you wanting to know how to smoke cheese?
looking at cheddar, pepper jack, swiss. size of pieces? time in the grill with smoke tube? what pellets work best? thinking of doing when outside temp is cool and what to do to keep temp in grill from melting the cheese.

The best tip is to use the lightest smoke you can , over a long period of time with plenty of draft. You don't want any heat, and if the cheese starts to sweat oil or change color it's getting too warm. It's fine to move it back into the fridge to cool down, then return to the smoker. You can even smoke it a few hours one day, and give it more smoke time the following day if you want it smokier. My preferred smoke generator is a sawdust tray.

Personally I usually use apple pellets and smoke for about 4 hours then seal and in the fridge for at least 2 weeks before eating any of it. I try to smoke when we have cool temps I did what should be the final cheese smoke before next winter last Sunday when temps were in the 50's

Reactions: BucketBack
I’m also looking to try and smoke some cheese, probably old cheddar and some Gouda. Just wondering what the temp should be or at least an upper temp to avoid. Any advice is appreciated
You can also place a pan filled with ice on a rack above the cheese to help keep it cool.

I’m also looking to try and smoke some cheese, probably old cheddar and some Gouda. Just wondering what the temp should be or at least an upper temp to avoid. Any advice is appreciated
I prefer temps in the 40's and I designate one block as my sample piece. Using a sawdust generator I have very light smoke, so I start sampling after the 2nd hour. the outer surface will be smokier, so I remove a thin slice and taste the second slice. My smoke times can range as long as 6 hours depending on the cheese. I do mellow my cheese a few days before gifting it, but it's fully edible during the entire process. Ideally I like it mellowed about 3 weeks, but I have some Irish cheddar that is a year old and great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky