Smoking Cheese

Discussion in 'For New Members' started by valanze, Mar 30, 2015.

1. I recently did my first smoke and it went great. It was with meat two racks of ribs and two whole chickens. I used the Camp Chef Smoke vault 18" and it performed I think flawlessly. That being said I do have two questions:

1) The grease all ended up in my water pan so I had this gnarly water/grease concoction is this an issue? Should I be using something to catch the grease?

2) I really want to smoke cheese but I was reading and the target temp seems to be under 90 degrees. When I seasoned the grill I tried to see if I could get smoke at that level and unless I cranked it up it would not smoke. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help in advance I really appreciate any help that can be given.

2. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

cheese has to be cold smoked. you will need a smoke generator to smoke cheese . My recommendation is the AMNPS pellet smoker . Just light the pellets and do not fire up the smoker. You can put a  2 liter bottle or two of frozen water in the unit to keep temps down.

3. Smoke generator? Forgive my ignorance but what is that? An optional accessory for smokers?

4. bamafan

bamafan Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Go to the sponsor page at the top and look at Amazing smokers web site. They sell dust and pellet smoke generators. I use 2 in my smoker for cheese but it is a large smoker. Easy to use and they don't generate alot of heat. If you have a small smoker you may have to do as Bob suggested and use some ice.

5. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

6. I appreciate it will have to pick one up.