1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

smoking cheese and rest?

Discussion in 'Smoked Cheese' started by saltysandman, May 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. saltysandman

saltysandman Newbie

hi all,

is the resting needed due to the possible pathogens? is there a minimum time that's needed to sit in frig?

2. ddufore

ddufore Smoke Blower

Not that I know of. The resting is to allow the smoke flavor to penetrate. From what I've heard freshly smoked cheese is compared to licking an ashtray. Once smoked, I vacuum pack and refrigerate for 2 months minimum. I've kept it for as long as 2 1/2 years. Still awesome.

Steve H likes this.
  3. Steve H

Steve H Meat Mopper

Yup. What ddufore said. Except I have yet been able to do that two month thing.....:D

4. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

The answer is no. As said above the rest is to allow for the flavor to mellow. I've never actually licked an ashtray so I cannot comment on what that tastes like, but I imagine it can't be good. I usually rest about two weeks before eating. However on my last batch I used sawdust and smoked it in two stages(by accident). To my surprise I was able to enjoy it right out of the smoker. It was still a little harsh, but was eatable. I will be playing around with the dust and times so hopefully I'll be able to eat it comfortably without the wait. Getting closer just not there yet.

Chris

5. saltysandman

saltysandman Newbie

thanks guys. took it off smoke for 3 hours and thought aroma was definitely strong. makes sense now. vacuumed sealed and now chilling in the frig. two weeks is so long. :( good things come to those who wait i suppose.

6. Steve H

Steve H Meat Mopper

Good luck waiting. ;)

7. ddufore

ddufore Smoke Blower

Let us know what you think.

8. saltysandman

saltysandman Newbie

will do