smoking cheese and rest?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saltysandman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
SFla
hi all,

is the resting needed due to the possible pathogens? is there a minimum time that's needed to sit in frig?

Not that I know of. The resting is to allow the smoke flavor to penetrate. From what I've heard freshly smoked cheese is compared to licking an ashtray. Once smoked, I vacuum pack and refrigerate for 2 months minimum. I've kept it for as long as 2 1/2 years. Still awesome.

Reactions: Steve H
hi all,

is the resting needed due to the possible pathogens? is there a minimum time that's needed to sit in frig?

The answer is no. As said above the rest is to allow for the flavor to mellow. I've never actually licked an ashtray so I cannot comment on what that tastes like, but I imagine it can't be good. I usually rest about two weeks before eating. However on my last batch I used sawdust and smoked it in two stages(by accident). To my surprise I was able to enjoy it right out of the smoker. It was still a little harsh, but was eatable. I will be playing around with the dust and times so hopefully I'll be able to eat it comfortably without the wait. Getting closer just not there yet.

Chris

thanks guys. took it off smoke for 3 hours and thought aroma was definitely strong. makes sense now. vacuumed sealed and now chilling in the frig. two weeks is so long. :( good things come to those who wait i suppose.

thanks guys. took it off smoke for 3 hours and thought aroma was definitely strong. makes sense now. vacuumed sealed and now chilling in the frig. two weeks is so long. :( good things come to those who wait i suppose.

Good luck waiting. ;)

UPDATE
So it's been just about 3 weeks. 5.12.2018 was the smoke date for 3 hours with a maple, cherry and hickory blend (pellets). opened the vacuumed sealed swiss today. much less like a chimney than a week ago but still strong. I think i'll wait another week. I can taste greatness though.

Reactions: melanerd
The wait is the toughest part for me. Always want to try whatever I smoke up that day. Unfortunately as mentioned cheese tastes way too smoky.

Last batch I did. I waited a full month before trying. Still a little strong for my tastes. But it didn't stop me from eating that piece up in about 4 days. This upcoming Saturday it will be 6 weeks and I look forward to trying another piece.

I have smoked over 20lbs of cheese this year. So I no longer have to go without smoked cheese. While my latest batch matures.

Have an estimated 12lbs in the cheese drawer of the refrigerator right now. Hope it gets me through summer, so I don't have to go without.

For an even better taste wait for it to come up to room temp. Yeah I know more waiting, lol. I have some Monterey jack, cheddar, Colby jack and mozzarella sticks that I smoked on Memorial Day that I'm waiting to open. Every time I go in the fridge I hear them calling me.

Reactions: ksblazer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky