Smoking cheese again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cvan

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2020
My family has always liked cheese, and most enjoy the flavor of smoked cheese also, so I decided to try something different to see what the outcome will be.
I like spicy foods, and covered 3 blocks with different peppers that I had ground up. Going to smoke a second time to hopefully add more smoke flavor, then rest, wrap, and vacuum pack for Christmas. Guess I will see if the flavors penetrated the cheese in a month. Wish I could wait longer, maybe cut blocks into smaller ones to try in a few months.

Attachments

• FEA9A346-5DF3-4AC8-AE72-508B62C5F82E.jpeg
    FEA9A346-5DF3-4AC8-AE72-508B62C5F82E.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 3A07CED9-49D7-4F6C-B717-91081FBCE02B.jpeg
    3A07CED9-49D7-4F6C-B717-91081FBCE02B.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: jaxgatorz
You're smoking cheese twice? How was it smoked the first time? What was your procedure? What smoke. And how long. Frankly. I've never heard of smoking cheese twice. And. You're cutting it pretty close with the rest time.

Cold smoked with apple pellets in a tray for about 2.5 hours. Used my vertical smoker. I just ate the last of my cheese smoked a year ago, and it did not have much smoke flavor. That cheese had been double wrapped in plastic wrap for a year Resting in the fridge. Did it lose the flavor not being vac sealed?

Good question. After a year. The cheese I vacuum sealed still had a good smoke flavor. You had no mold issues with it just being wrapped?
How did it taste after a month or so?

Here is a chunk I just took out a few minutes ago after responding to your thread.
IMG_20221127_161428822_HDR.jpg

Like I needed an excuse to pull a chunk out of the beer fridge! It was excellent. Nice smoke flavor. I did this was hickory for 2.5 hours. Rested on the counter for 6 hours. Then vacuum sealed.

The lessor rested cheese had more smoke flavor. No mold issues at all being double plastic wrapped and in a ziplock. It did seem creamier though.

Perhaps being vacuum sealed retained the flavor then. Wait for more feedback. I never stored cheese like you have.

I have smoked cheese for 8 hours before.

You have to ensure enough circulation in your smoker.

I like the idea of adding pepper...

I think my smoke exited pretty fast, although the stack was just cracked. Smokes before have been in the master built and just the pellet tray.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky