Smoking boudin ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I used a grinder with a stuffer plate . Worked out pretty good . Texture was good . Next time I make it I will use a stuffer . I just bought one waiting for it to get here . When I cooked the meat I added a little salt and pepper . I strained the water and added my spices to it . I shredded the meat and mixed it with the rice then added the water and spice mix . I'm a big fan of Reo . I use it for my dry sausage too . The German blend

As far as I am concerned you cannot beat smoked Boudin. I smoke store bought on my pit all the time, about 30 minutes to an hour is plenty. It is so much better than regular.

This is the one i use.

2 lbs uncooked rice.

1 lb lean meat, your choice

1/2 lb butt

1/2 lb pork liver

1 bunch fresh chopped parsley

1 bunch green onions, chopped

2 .5 Tbs non iodized salt

1.5 tsp cayenne

1 Tbs paprika

1 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp chili powder

1 cup cold water

1 cup non fat dry milk

hog casings

Cook your rice, set aside

Put all the meat in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the meat is tender.  Drain the water from the meat.

Grind meats through the course plate 1 time and empty in a large plastic bowl.

Combine the dry milk to the water and mix well.

Mix in all the dry and rice into the meat, add the milk and mix really good.

Stuff into the casings any way you like and place in a pan, cover with water and simmer for 25-30 mins

You can fry, bbq or whatever after you have simmered.

If your going to smoke these dont forget the cure.

Hi NEPAS, do you have to add cure even if you cooked the meat first as stated in your recipe or just if you grind and stuff it raw? Thanks

Hi NEPAS, do you have to add cure even if you cooked the meat first as stated in your recipe or just if you grind and stuff it raw? Thanks

If your going to follow the recipe (which is for fresh sausage) then no you dont need cure.

BUT

If your going to smoke this you will need to mix the cure into the meat. By smoke i mean starting low like 140, 150. If your going to put some heat and smoke to it like 190 and above then you wont need cure.

I guess my post was not that well done.

This like any other sausage just needs to be done with common sense on how to properly smoke sausage.

If your not SURE on if you want to smoke boudin......Then add some liquid smoke to the mix before poaching.

If you want to try smoking the boudin you will need to add cure to the raw meat. The rice will need to be cooked in the way you normally do your rice. Cooled then added to the meat allong with the clean parsley and onions. (dont grind the rice) Like eman said, short grain works better.

Have you tried to stuff cooked meat?

Try it and get back with us.

I have pics of smoked Boudin i will find.

Common sense..? what?! lol  But yes, cold smoking = cure. Always. Fresh sausage = no cure. 

Good point about stuffing cooked meat. I would think it would be more difficult unless the other ingredients helped make it "flow". Care to share your experience with that?

This recipe is from the Jennings / Crowley area of Louisiana.( Cajun Country)

It is one of the old cajun recipes  that has a few modern ingredients added to it.

Boudin A La Louisianne

3 lb rice

2 1/4 lb lean pork

3/4 lb  pork liver

1/2 lb pork heart

1/3 lb pork kidney (optional)

1/3 lb pork spleen (optional )

Water enough to cover meat

1 tablespoon of salt

1 teaspoon of blk pepper

1 tablespoon of red pepper

4 tablespoon Monosoduim Glutmate

2 bunch of green onions

1 tablespoon of parsley flakes or

1/4 cup of chopped parsley

sausage casing

cook the rice\

put imeat in large stockpot; add water to cover meat completely

add seasoning; bring water to hard boil for few mins. Stir meat frequently so that it does not stick to bottom of pot. Lower to slow boil and cook one hour. stirring occasionlly.

Remove the meat from pot and remove any bones.

Grind all the meats and the green onions

Place rice, ground meat and green onions in large mixing bowl. adding the parsley and enough seasoning water that the meat cooked in to moisten dressing to desired consistency. Mix thorougly.

The boudin dressing is now ready to stuff into casing.

NOTE: If you do not want to use the organ meats the just use  4 lbs pork  instead.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky