Smoking books …

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MCQSmoker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
Got a few Christmas Amazon vouchers to use

any good recommendations on books ?

eyeing up Rodney Scott’s world of bbq, pitmaster by Alan husband, Franklin bbq

keen to hear thoughts if anyone has any of these or any books I’ve not kentjoned

thanks !

keen to hear thoughts if anyone has any of these or any books I’ve not kentjoned

thanks !
You wanting to smoke cured meat, or bbq with smoke?

Reactions: MCQSmoker
MCQS, I like Myron Mixons books and one of our members -Disco_ has a book -Old Fat Guy Smoking. Sausage making books would be Eldon Cutlips -Sausage making... ,Rytek Kutas or Stanley Marianski books.

Reactions: MCQSmoker
bbq with smoke
One of the best resources on smoking bbq is the search function right here on SMF. It’s scattered in thought, but if you can focus, the best information out there is right here within the archives of this site, which is the most comprehensive ever assembled. It also explains the error in a lot of these books and explains how to correctly execute a cook. You have arrived with BBQ. Things like charcuterie, need a reference book or two because of food safety, but bbq is technique based, and that is all enshrined here in the search. Just a thought.

bbq with smoke
If it can be smoked, you will find whatever you need right here at SMF. I've been around here for quite some time, and I don't recall ever having a question that wasn't answered by someone on this site when it comes to basic smoking. When it comes to curing meats and sausage making, books from outside sources become more useful.

This is a sampling of my barbecue books through 2010 or so. I figure if I get a few tips, or a recipe or two the book is worth it. Some are more of a fun read than others. I generally go to the Amazon site because many books have the "Look Inside" feature and will often show the jacket information and the table of contents. Some will have a major preview which is a bonus.

O9WvNtc.jpg

There is way way more here at SMF.com than in any ten books.
And it comes with a free online consultation service.
Perhaps the most underutilized resource here at SMF. com.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot all, that’s really helpful.

I’m going to give all the recommended books a google and use smoking meat recipes too

much appreciated!

thanks !

As mentioned above, this site will give you better smoking info than basically any other resource in the world.

As for books, the Franklin book is an awesome read but less of a "cook book" and more of knowledge share an interesting read. I think it only has like 10-12 recipes in it but has amazing info on building smokers, building fires, making smoke, and just the craft of smoking BBQ in general and the lessons learned of how Franklin got there. Again awesome read!

I can tell you AVOID "Smoke and Spice".
I got it when I first started smoking hoping to learn a number of things and after reading it recommended a bunch... I was wrong.
The book has a ton of recipes which are fine for ingredients but has little to no actual information on smoking the food.
To sum it up 95% of the recipes are "smoke at 225F smoker temp" for x amount of hours.
No wood + food pairing recommendations, no temp variety or explanations, and no info about quirks of specific meats. Meaning, no info on things like "smoke poultry with skin on at a higher temp 325F+ or skin is leathery", or "brisket, pork butts, etc. should be smoked until tender and don't care what temp they are cooked at or how long to cook them". You get what I mean.

I hope this info helps steer you towards great reads and less towards "recipes" :)

As mentioned above, this site will give you better smoking info than basically any other resource in the world.

As for books, the Franklin book is an awesome read but less of a "cook book" and more of knowledge share an interesting read. I think it only has like 10-12 recipes in it but has amazing info on building smokers, building fires, making smoke, and just the craft of smoking BBQ in general and the lessons learned of how Franklin got there. Again awesome read!

I got it when I first started smoking hoping to learn a number of things and after reading it recommended a bunch... I was wrong.
The book has a ton of recipes which are fine for ingredients but has little to no actual information on smoking the food.
To sum it up 95% of the recipes are "smoke at 225F smoker temp" for x amount of hours.
No wood + food pairing recommendations, no temp variety or explanations, and no info about quirks of specific meats. Meaning, no info on things like "smoke poultry with skin on at a higher temp 325F+ or skin is leathery", or "brisket, pork butts, etc. should be smoked until tender and don't care what temp they are cooked at or how long to cook them". You get what I mean.

I hope this info helps steer you towards great reads and less towards "recipes" :)
Thanks, much appreciated. I should use the search function more on the forum.

I’ll be sure to avoid smoke and spice, sounds like a frustrating read.

I agree with you on both of those. Got Smoke and Spice as a gift and thought the same thing. Plus a lot of the recipes seem like a pain in the butt...but that may just be me as I tend to keep things reasonably simple.

I agree with you on both of those. Got Smoke and Spice as a gift and thought the same thing. Plus a lot of the recipes seem like a pain in the butt...but that may just be me as I tend to keep things reasonably simple.
Oh it's not u brother lol.
Many recipes in that book are a lot like online recipes. They come out good IN SPITE of all the extra ingredients and steps.

We are alike for sure. Often the simpler the better, or simpler is all that is needed.

Any meat will come out tasting out of this world amazing with just Salt, Pepper, Onion, and Garlic. Add a spice or 2 from there to go any direction (Italian, Mexican, Asian, etc.) but at the base its the big 4 SPOG.

Sausage making is about the only thing I come across that may take more ingrediants than normal but that is a special process to make sausage and it's flavors. The other exception is extremely ethnic or cultural recipes for dishes that are uncommon. Mexican Mole sauce comes to mind for me. But most other things are better when they are simpler :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky