smoking a rubbed turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

usmcoklahoma

Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Well, its getting down to the wire for turkey day. Me and my wife have all our stuff standing by but I have a question about my bird. Its a 14lbs butterball bird with a 3% brine solution. The misses wants it rubbed with a McCormick herb rub and Im gonna smoke it. My question is, since its rubbed and brined in the standard issue brine, what wood would I want to smoke it with? I have hickory and apple, but I can get my hands on pecan if i need to. Those are the only woods I can choose from. Im thinking about smoking them the same way I do ribs, start with hickory and then end with some apple. Tips?

I did a butterball turkey yesterday. Used Tip's brine and smoked it with hickory and apple the whole time and it was good. I used Lawry's perfect blend poultry and chicken rub also. Stuffed it with a onion, celery, and carrots. Very moist. Here's a picture:
ee272eaf_turkeyfinal.jpg

If it was me I would use the apple and some pecan mixed in if you can get it

Good luck

Personally I'll probably go with straight Apple wood. The pecan/apple mix does sound good tho

Thanks folks, guess ill have to decide between my apple and my buddys pecan sticks. lol. By the way, how should I set it up? Im thinking of having my fire on one side, a pie pan of water under the grill grates and the turkey on top of the water. This sound ok or am I missing a mark?

Last edited:
I recently have switched to using maple and apple chunks on turkey, the flavor was positively Bon-A-Roo. It's all good my friend.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

I'm with Jerry again and I say straight apple would be my call. But if you wantto mix I would mix with pecan. Now I would recommand brining if you can even oif it's alrady brined. Use Tip's Slaughter House Brine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky