Smoking 500 pounds of meat at a time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
WOW! I feel like i'm at a Meat Wonderland. Very impressive equipment, setup and friends. This is the nicest I've ever seen. Great work. Thanks for the pics.

thanks - at some point I’ll post a thread on the kitchen..

Great looking kitchen. What's in the barrel?

Thanks - My pepper mash - I was inspired by Mellhenny (tabasco) back in the 90's when I did a project with them and received some of their hybrid pepper seeds to grow plants with, which I've made mash with for the last 20+ year now. I make a pretty nice hot sauce with it after it ages for 3 years. The French oak barrels are holding a batch from last year.

IMG_4827.JPG
IMG_4828.JPG

So next is the blending process. I'll go over the recipe perhaps in another thread, but to keep on point, we start stripping the bone, (which falls out) and lots of the fat off the meats and separating the select meat. This is kept and the other discarded. Our final yield from green weight to final product is 50-60%.

With 7 people helping this is about a 30 minute process.

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 5.19.10 PM.png

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Next step is the buffalo chopper - which makes an easy job of making bbq.

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 5.19.25 PM.png

Reactions: Wurstmeister
How long do you run the meat in the buffalo chopper? Guys at the firehouse tried one when they do their annual boston butt cook of 600-700 butts. Did not work very well...

How long do you run the meat in the buffalo chopper? Guys at the firehouse tried one when they do their annual boston butt cook of 600-700 butts. Did not work very well...

They should stick to fighting fires.

600-700 buts is a lot of meat.. Wow. That would take me over a week to do in my kitchen.

I just figured out, I can get 75 butts in my smoker at a time.. and go 20-22 hours, so let's say a turnaround a day..

Chopping is no problem at all.

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 9.06.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 9.06.59 PM.png

Reactions: MJB05615
These are incredible things you are doing , and in your home yet. Very impressive. That meat all looks great too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky