• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smokin Tex 1500-C Help (Similar to Cookshack or Smokin it)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

johngolf01

Smoke Blower
Joined
Feb 9, 2017
Messages
126
Reaction score
33
Hey All,

Hoping someone can lend me a helping hand and or provide some advice.

I recently picked up a Smokin Tex 1500-C electric smoker from a FB Marketplace add. Manufactured in 2014.
I purchased it for $200, knowing it did not work and am ok spending some cash to get it up and running. These seem to retail $3500 range.

Plugged in, when "switching" it up (700W heating) the light turns red, but no heat output. It takes a couple on/off switch try's to get the light to stay red. "Switching" it down (1400W heating) no light comes on.

I called and spoke to Scott with customer support, and he suggested trying the heating elements first. Spent $160 on two replacement elements. Replaced them this evening and the same thing happens with the switch (it's finicky). All the wiring seemed OK to me.

Power must be ok since a light comes on?
Do I invest in a new switch? I think the thermostat is working, because a hear a "click" when turning the temperature knob up.

New switch ($50) and thermostat ($50).

I'm a newbie when it comes to aftermarket controllers. Do they make one that bypasses all of the smoker internals? Essentially independent controller / power to the new heating elements? I've seen some "plug and play" controllers, but that only works if the smoker is functioning as it should (you plug the smoker into them)?

Is there one that I can bypass all the existing controls and just power the heating elements?

Looking for the least path for resistance. I have no issue replacing the switch and thermostat if that likely would be the fix, my fear is that I replace those and still have a non-functioning smoker. That is why an aftermarket controller option appeals to me.

Attached some pics of the smoker for reference. Pics with the back panel off are before/after replacing the elements. Forgot to get new pics of the inside after cleaning / replacing the heating elements. Original photos shown.

Appreciate any feedback or insight!
 

Attachments

  • A8CBE8E4-644C-4DFE-9AF8-92364ACD137C.JPG
    A8CBE8E4-644C-4DFE-9AF8-92364ACD137C.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 10
  • F84B96D7-C146-488A-A826-6F068BC1DC53.JPG
    F84B96D7-C146-488A-A826-6F068BC1DC53.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 0EAEE4B8-4003-44F1-A7B2-FD1E16ABD9E2.JPG
    0EAEE4B8-4003-44F1-A7B2-FD1E16ABD9E2.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 7
  • 26C20F71-9490-455F-BFB2-8D9B453D1B80.JPG
    26C20F71-9490-455F-BFB2-8D9B453D1B80.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 7
  • BBB8DB55-26EF-4437-88CB-AFE793B6C15A.JPG
    BBB8DB55-26EF-4437-88CB-AFE793B6C15A.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 463C3CAC-70E9-4F0F-A847-F779D03F3AA8.JPG
    463C3CAC-70E9-4F0F-A847-F779D03F3AA8.JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 377D11EB-57EB-4C6B-9E23-0B17D65AA07B.JPG
    377D11EB-57EB-4C6B-9E23-0B17D65AA07B.JPG
    378.4 KB · Views: 10
  • D85A7739-8A6D-431F-ABBB-EAB66DFA9EC0.JPG
    D85A7739-8A6D-431F-ABBB-EAB66DFA9EC0.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 9
$50 switch? Don't think so. Pull that switch out, read the numbers off the sides of it, do some internet searching and you should be able to find one way less expensive. I have a Smoke-it #2. It has no switch, it came that way from the factory. If I want to smoke something, I plug it in and the light goes on and off when the T-stat is calling for heat. You could jumper your switch wires together to bypass your switch and accomplish the same function just plugging and unpluging for now if you wanted to test.
 
Last edited:
Great call, thanks! Turns out the local Ace Hardware has a switch that appears to be comparable (if not exact match) for $10. Will try this but also still considering a controller.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 4
Hey All,

Hoping someone can lend me a helping hand and or provide some advice.

I recently picked up a Smokin Tex 1500-C electric smoker from a FB Marketplace add. Manufactured in 2014.
I purchased it for $200, knowing it did not work and am ok spending some cash to get it up and running. These seem to retail $3500 range.

Plugged in, when "switching" it up (700W heating) the light turns red, but no heat output. It takes a couple on/off switch try's to get the light to stay red. "Switching" it down (1400W heating) no light comes on.

I called and spoke to Scott with customer support, and he suggested trying the heating elements first. Spent $160 on two replacement elements. Replaced them this evening and the same thing happens with the switch (it's finicky). All the wiring seemed OK to me.

Power must be ok since a light comes on?
Do I invest in a new switch? I think the thermostat is working, because a hear a "click" when turning the temperature knob up.

New switch ($50) and thermostat ($50).

I'm a newbie when it comes to aftermarket controllers. Do they make one that bypasses all of the smoker internals? Essentially independent controller / power to the new heating elements? I've seen some "plug and play" controllers, but that only works if the smoker is functioning as it should (you plug the smoker into them)?

Is there one that I can bypass all the existing controls and just power the heating elements?

Looking for the least path for resistance. I have no issue replacing the switch and thermostat if that likely would be the fix, my fear is that I replace those and still have a non-functioning smoker. That is why an aftermarket controller option appeals to me.

Attached some pics of the smoker for reference. Pics with the back panel off are before/after replacing the elements. Forgot to get new pics of the inside after cleaning / replacing the heating elements. Original photos shown.

Appreciate any feedback or insight!

Do you own a multimeter? If yes, then you can start at either end of the circuit, but I would go straight to the elements and see if they are getting voltage or not and work backwards from there. If no, Well, you're gonna just throw money at parts until you hit the right one. Yes you can bypass everything with an external PID controller.
 
Let us know how it works out. I would like to give my opinion of PID controllers for smoking. I have used my analog Smoke-it #2 since 2013, smoke most everything at 225' dial setting. It cycles on and off like a kitchen oven bakes a cake. If a brisket can be smoked at 225, 250. 275, or even 350 as some people do, I never worried about a little temp fluctuation as it is working on getting my meat IT to where i want it. I came out of the electronics side of the process control industry. I probably still have enough spare parts around in my shop building to build my own PID controller, but see no need. I am not flowing melted plastic through a pipe that is flowable but not hot enough to destroy the product that needs to keep +or- 2' in any weather conditions. To me that would be just an extra possible fail point. Unfortunately temperature control electronics fail more often than a set of on/off contacts. I like the KISS method. My 2013 Smok-it #2 analog is using the original heater and on/off temp sensor with at least weekly smoke of something, ribs, pork butt, brisket, ham, chicken (I singe on the grill after smoking), ABT's, and smoked checks mix. I call it my "Ronco, Set it and forget it till I hear a beep from my IT temp probe" Smoker. Just my opinion. It sits outside under a covered deck year around. It was a little pricey in 2013 but it has not been just a good product, but it has been an excellent product in my opinion. Yours should be similar.
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back
Top
Clicky