Smokin' Pro Capacity

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DustyJoe84

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 15, 2018
Kansas City
My church is having a work day coming up in a couple weeks and my dear, sweet wife volunteered me to smoke some pork butts for pulled pork for all the workers at lunch time. I feel I am still a little "green" in the smoking realm to feed a small crowd but going to give it a shot! My question is, how many pork butts can I realistically put on without it being too much? I have 4 butts in the freezer right now around 7 - 7 1/2 lbs each. I dry fit them and while they all fit, I am definitely going to need a heat deflector because a couple of the butts are going to be pretty close to the firebox opening. My other option is to cook some the weekend before, vacuum seal and reheat before serving but finding time might be an issue.

So, what's the best option for a heat deflector? I have seen some people just flipping the charcoal grate over and using that. Does that work well?

Has anyone else packed their Smokin Pro out before with good results? Keep in mind the only mod I have on this until is a charcoal basket. Anything else I should do to have success?

Why can't you rotate the meat around the grill for more even cooking? I just saw that this is a year old, but still!

Why can't you rotate the meat around the grill for more even cooking? I just saw that this is a year old, but still!
If this is actually about the Char-Griller that I have (which I cannot remember if it is called the smokin pro, but it's 4 grates wide, with no side firebox), I think the only way to fit four 7 1/2 lb butts and not get close to the heat would be to put one of them on the upper rack toward the chimney, and rotate each of them up at some interval. But some heavy duty foil should make a nice deflector, as well, imo.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky